1.6K views

I bought a $20 bookcase made by ROOM ESSENTIALS from Target.I bought it near my boyfriends place which is an hour and a half away from where I live.

I got rid of the box not thinking there might be something wrong with it. When my BF came to see me on the weekend, I asked him to assemble the bookcase for me. When he tried to work on it, the holes on one of the sides are reversed which makes the unfinished edge show in front instead of it being in the back so it does not show. Called the target near me and explained my situations that i dont have the box but I have the receipt.

They told me to bring it and the'yll exchange it with what they have. Brought the *** bookcase and waited in line for a while. Once it was my turn, I was told " oh we can't accept it at all because the box is missing and I have to return it to where I bought it. The Freaking bookcase is worth $20 and if it wasnt defective, i would not have returned it.

Worthless, worthless, worthless, I left it in their garbage can.What a waste of time and effort, I could have just donated them my $20, instead of going through all the frustrations of buying a DEFECTIVE ROOM ESSENTIALS BOOKCASE...............

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

We just bought a Target white 3 shelf Room Essentials and the original post is correct the shelving units are defective the screw holes are on the wrong side leaving the unfinished side visible. Bothers me too, but we are going to keep ours since we went to the trouble of assembling it. Cheap crappy bookcase manufactured by idiots what else can you say?

I got my bookshelf out to find there was absolutely no hardware, I cant even find a place to contact to get the hardware

I bought the five shelf bookcase as well, I'm returning the unopened one tomorrow, it's cheap and I'm just throwing the one away

My shelf contained the wrong brackets and could not be used. I also threw out the box as I am not the one to be pessimistic and think there might be something wrong with a product I purchased (especially a $26 bookshelf).

Okay you threw out the box before assembling it, and you blame them because you did not return the product in the box it came, this makes me wonder if you are even old enough to have a boyfriend?

If you weren't going to assemble it, why in the world would you take it out of the box and throw the box away?

i bought the same bookcase and it didnt come with any instructions

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #189558

Your boyfriend should be arrested for pedophellia because obviously you are a child. Or you behave like one. You should have kept the box.

If you still had the instructions, they have a number or website on there where you can go to order a replacement part for damaged or missing parts.

Quote=” J355a98”

“I got rid of the box not thinking there might be something wrong with it.”

Lesson one: Keep all the packaging materials (and receipts) for any purchases.

Quote=” J355a98”

“I asked him to assemble the bookcase for me. When he tried to work on it, the holes on one of the sides are reversed which makes the unfinished edge show in front instead of it being in the back so it does not show.”

Lesson two: Follow the instructions.

Quote=” J355a98”

“They told me to bring it and the'yll (sic) exchange it with what they have.”

Lesson three: When returning items to retailers, bring all saved materials.

Quote=” J355a98”

“Brought the *** bookcase and waited in line for a while.”

Lesson four: If you don’t want a “*** bookcase” next time, do a bit more research, or spend a little more on quality.

Lesson five: Expect to wait in line at peak hours, especially for after-sales services. The person behind you in line also had to wait, you were not treated differently than others.

Quote=” J355a98”

“I was told "oh we can't accept it at all because the box is missing and I have to return it to where I bought it.”

Lesson six: Double check the return instructions before visiting the store. Where you told to return it to the store where you bought it? Did you ask the store where you did return it to swap the box with...

“The Freaking bookcase”

Lesson seven: Calling the item you purchased a new name isn’t helping!

Quote=” J355a98”

“The Freaking bookcase is worth $20 and if it wasnt (sic) defective, i (sic) would not have returned it.”

Lesson eight: Can you buy a decent bookcase for twenty bucks? Really!?! You have set yourself up for disapointment.

Quote=” J355a98”

“Nevertheless, it got me so pissed off and felt like I was being ripped off by CHEAP made in China ROOM ESSENTIALS brand.”

Lesson nine: Regardless of brand or country of origin a “bookcase for twenty bucks” can only be cheap. What were you expecting it to be? Hand carved solid wood from an old growth forest, crafted by experts, hand polished and delivered to your abode by caring, courteous, and eager indentured servants, who seek nothing less than your undying gratitude as they suffered hardships and missteps while toiling in their labor to bring you the finest products known in all of retail history? For twenty bucks? Really!?!

“Worthless, worthless, worthless”

Lesson ten: You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself! You have an opportunity for personal growth from this failed mission. Look on the bright side, your tale of retail incompetence has brought a ray of sunshine to those of us that needed to read your story after spending long hours working shifts at the “human zoo” known as Target.

Quote=” J355a98”

“What a waste of time and effort, I could have just donated them my $20, instead of going through all the frustrations of buying a DEFECTIVE ROOM ESSENTIALS BOOKCASE”

We don’t know if it was defective or not, do we? You and your BF did not complete the mission, and even if you were unlucky enough to have a less than perfect bookcase project your story here was worth reading for pure entertainment alone!