I saw a dress at Target which was on clearance for $19.99.I loved the dress, but needed a size they didn't have.

A team member checked another location and said they had my size at another store. After driving all the way across town, I found the dress but it was $10 more (at it's original price of $29.99). I was shocked to find out that Target would not match their own stores prices just across town. Is this not a corporation?

I would expect to pay the same price for the same exact dress at another Target location. I tried speaking with the manager and all they could say was "that's our policy". I called the corporate office of Target and got the same line. When asked where this policy was stated, they could not tell me.

This "so called policy" is no where to be found for customers to be aware of. It would therefore seem reasonable that unknowing customers should not be expected to adhere to this policy. It also means that the team member should be responsible for informing the customer, which also did not happen in my case before I drove 20 miles to get the dress. All I wanted was the difference that I paid (10 dollars) back on my credit card or a gift card for that amount.

I am making reasonable requests and Target will not offer any other solutions. I believe this is completely unethical, and probably illegal. If a company policy is to be enforced, then it needs to be in writing somewhere. Final word: It's a ridiculous and unethical policy that Target is upholding.

Their motto is "Expect More.Pay Less" and they are certainly failing at that!

Review about: Target Manager.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

I too had the same thing happen to me.I went to a target store near my house to by nicotine gum.They were out of what I wanted.

I went to another store and the price difference was 6 bucks higher.The customer service person said that there prices are higher because they are a high volume store. I said , ok thank you for clearing that up.

I put the item back and went to Walmart and found the same product 8 bucks cheaper.So now I chosen to stop shopping at Target.What would it be like if we all decided to pay a different amout everytime we went to a different store?

andbran
Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #64004

i have been working for Target for several yr.i have to explain the clearance rules about every other day.

for future reference 'dear queen' is right. if a certain color or size is not selling it is mark down. then they can order what does sell. also we dont clearance out at the same time.

they start with the stores that have the most to get rid of. that is why when u go to one store a dress is 30% when at another store it is 50%. we dont match prices with other targets. i dont know of any retail store that does it.

last but not least we do not make adjustment on clearance.if u want the difference, return the item then rebuy it

I appreciate the two people trying to explain answers to me.I understand this information...

however it is up to the sales people actually AT target to be informed as well and to notify their customers of possible ridiculous policies that may apply to them. This is all water under the bridge however.

After speaking with someone at corporate, they realized the absurdity of the situation and mailed me the difference in a gift certificate to the store. Either that or they were tired of getting calls from me... which is fine, because ultimately the situation was made right.

I've worked for a Fortune 500 company, and one of the largest known names in the world. We are taught how to excell in customer service and how to treat an unsatisfied patron, and the steps to take to make someone happy- whatever the complaint may be. When I see a company faltering in this, especially when they claim to take pride in their customer service guarantees, it infuriates me.

I'm glad Target finally resolved this issue in my case, and they vowed to take steps to make these policies known throughout their stores.I hope that is the case, so other people can enjoy their Target shopping experiences in the future.

beleive it or not, that target did NOT cheat you out of that beloved dress. take a look at the VERY FIRST line of your complaint.... "I saw a dress at Target which was on clearance for $19.99. I loved the dress, but needed a size they didn't have."

there is your answer. the dress size you wanted was NOT on clearence! it may have 'looked' the same, and it may have been identical in every other way, but the one difference was the SIZE. maybe one of the buyers for target ordered 500,000 'small' dresses when they meant to order only 50,000. realizing they bought too many, and 'small'dresses are "not in" this year, they realizze they have to unload them or lose their, well 'dress'. - so they put it on clearance and end up making a very small margin. that is called supply and demand honey. now look at the other side - that same buyer purchased just the right number of super-hefty sizes you were looking for. supply and demand again. you are p!ssed thast they didn't match the 'same dress', when it isn't the 'same'. yours is larger, took more material to make it, and thus costs more! it may be the same dress, but it is a different 'model'.

let me try to explain this another way. you walk into a dress shop that designs and sells custom wedding dresses. you are looking for that 'perfect' dress for 'your'day. on the left, you see a dress that is fairly modest, no sequins, just some lace around the edges on clearance for $300. on the...

maybe a crude example, but that is about the way it is, and retailers do this all the time. I can't even count how many times i went into best buy and saw some piece of electronic gear at one price, and then saw the same exact thing at Wal Mart for $70 less. When i would ask Best Buy to match the price - they would say, "well it is not the same model" (stores only match EXACT models - IN STOCK - at their competitors). and the only difference would literally be the number on the plate! Best buy would carry the 'Smart-tronix 550', but Wal Mart would have the 'Smart- tronix 550-a'. everything else is identical.

sorry - that's the way it goes.

Quote = Queenvwbug64

“You are right that a team member should make a customer aware of this policy. But in my case, they didn't. Which is what I am complaing(sic) about.”

“Why? Your complaints here or elsewhere will not have much (if any) outcome.

There are over one third of a million USA Team Members working for Target, none are required to know everything or be tested on this level of knowledge. TMs are routinely tested on job skills knowledge depending upon their job duties and in some cases are tested by state agencies (alcohol sales, for example).

Quote = Queenvwbug64

“(Also for the fact that it is a ridiculous policy in the first place... but besides (sic) the point of the complaint).”

Opinion. You can think what you like, as a potential paying customer but you are welcome as a guest in any Target store or on-line. The policy is set by and exclusively for the benefit of the company. You may opt out by not buying anything in the stores or on-line.

Quote = Queenvwbug64

“I am angry that the team members did not warn me that the price could possibly be different.”

Good grief! Are you such a veal calf that you can’t go shopping by yourself?

Caveat Emptor!! Why is that Target or any other business-for-profit should inform you, when you are free to comparison shop or not shop at all? To serve any potential customer a business must front a lot of expense and liability and invest...

Quote = Queenvwbug64

“But I am glad that they are testing "price matching" with their products... they just need to hurry up and bring it to the West Coast.”

Why? Target brand is not about being the low price leader. This is a western culture retail operation, not a bazaar in a third world village or battering in ‘night market’ in Taiwan. Target stores are not there to bargain or haggle over pricing! Expect More and Pay Less is the tag line and if you shop upscale of a Target store (Nordstrom’s for example) you will be well pleased with Target. On the other hand if you think Walmart or Kmart are pricey Target will seem extravagant.

Quote = Queenvwbug64

“But it's really not price matching anyway... the prices should really stay consistent among products within the stores and between the stores.”

You kidding, right? Do you think the operating costs of the physical stores and the payroll expense is uniform by store, city, and state? Do you think a bricks and mortar anchor store in a suburban mall (such as Target stores) are equal to on-line retailers overhead (such as Amazon.com or Target.com)?

If you don’t like Target then stay away. If you can’t handle spot pricing then change your shopping habits.

If you think you were wronged by a TM (that may well need retraining) report her or him to the ETL in the store at the time of the incident. Don’t wait or phone a district office or corporate (a local issue needs timely and local action). All TMs are required to wear name badges, the last four digits of the TM’s employee number is on every receipt they handle, and as a last resort a TM must give a guest their name.

I hope you see that your anger is misplaced and your attitude is keeping you from a better and more rewarding shopping experience (in Target or elsewhere).

Yes, "May I Help You Find Something?" you are right that a team member should make a customer aware of this policy.But in my case, they didn't.

Which is what I am complaing about. (Also for the fact that it is a ridiculous policy in the first place... but besdies the point of the complaint). I am angry that the team members did not warn me that the price could possibly be different.

But it's really not price matching anyway...the prices should really stay consistent among products within the stores and between the stores.

Quote =Queenvwbug64

“That site does not say anything about the price differences between target stores. Just between target.com and the stores.”

Correct. However, the same policy applies to the retail stores.

All TMs (Team Members) are expected to know this fact, which is presented in the internal company on-line materials known as “Workbench”.

Any guest asking about the policy would be told clearly that Target stores do not price match to other retailers, other Target stores, or to Target.com online.

The reasons for this are self-evident, but I would be happy to explain if requested.

This policy is not displayed in the stores (AFAIK). It is not required to be displayed, and ‘price matching’ is a voluntary policy that other retailers may offer to their guests.

Further, Target Brands is conducting a field trial of price matching policy at Minneapolis, Minnesota and Medina, Wisconsin stores. This was reported recently in a Minnesota daily newspaper (You can find the articles online with Google).

"We do not match the price of our online merchandise with the price offered by Target stores or another company, and Target stores do not match the price of our online merchandise."

Thanks for the advice though!

Quote = “Queenvwbug64”,

“This "so called policy" is no where to be found for customers to be aware of. It would therefore seem reasonable that unknowing customers should not be expected to adhere to this policy.”

Go to www-dot-target-dot-com. Select ‘help’ from the top left menu. In ‘Search Help” type: ‘Pricing Policy’. Click on ‘Pricing Policy’ result (there is only one search result). Read and learn.