Dallas, Texas

I am mobility impaired and often use the Target riding cart for my shopping. At checkout, the cashier loaded my items on the belt and after purchase, repacked the bags into the cart. After getting into my car ard returning home - (over 20mi) I discovered that one bag was missing without about $24.00 in mdse. I immediately called the store and spoke to Guest Services. Yes, the bag was turned in, I identified the missing products, and the clerk said she logged it in with my name. She told me to come back with my original receipt and they would take care of it.

When I returned the next day, I also physically returned one of the items purchased (about $10 item). I asked for my other items and the clerk (actually the same person I spoke to on the phone - who remembered my call) said that the items had been returned to the sales floor. I was tired and said that I just wanted the credit back on my Target Red card - because I didn't want to go all over the store and find the original items.

Suddenly, she tells me that she can't put the $24 back on my card as a credit. She could only issue a $24 gift card. Huh? I had the original receipt, and she had just credited me $10 for the item I returned. She also had a log showing all the items in the "lost" bag and my matching receipt for those items. I don't want them anymore, you already have them in the store, and I just want a credit back to cut down the new $70 balance on my Target credit card.

"Can't do that, has to go on a gift card" she says. But you have credit for the whole $24 on the gift card. Okay, I said, I'll buy $24 worth of stuff right here at the checkout and then return it for credit to my RED card. "Nope, can't do that, if you buy with a gift card, it has to be credit back to a gift card."

"so you're saying that my $24 is now TRAPPED in Target mdse, no matter what?"

"Yep"

"That is ***, I said". I understand that I still have credit. But I REALLY want to apply that money back to the original purchase, so that my new debt on the card is only about $35 instead of $60 (since they did credit the $10 item to my card).

I asked the clerk, the Customer Serv Mgr, and I asked for the Store manager or Asst Manager. The CSM would not call the manager for me. It was their fault. The original cashier packed my cart and left off the bag. I even said, "Do I have everything?

I called Target HDG Guest Services in Minneapolis. They couldn't help me. They told me that since the gift card was already issued, it could not be converted to cash or a RED card credit. I understand that I am being a pain in the *** about this --- but I just want to pay down my credit card bill (THE CARD THEY ISSUED TO ME). and not buy $24 worth of stuff I no longer want.

Their mistakes:

1. Original cashier did not load my cart with bats (disabled shopper -they loaded "ALL" bags.

2. Could not issue a credit back to the original RED card - even though there was no question about the missing items that had already been returned to the salesfloor, AND I had the original receipt, showing the form of payment.

3. They handed me the original receipt, the return receipt (for $10 item), and the gift card with $24 on it.

4. HDQ in Minneapolis tells me they will help me -- what is the ID # on the giftcard receipt? HUH? They did not give me a gift card receipt, but I have the gift card with all serial numbers on it.

5. HDQ: Too bad, without the gift card receipt, there are no refunds.

AAACKKK!!! I am tired of the TARGET bureacracy and BS. I cut up my RED card. I will pay the balance, and I guess I will have to try to sell the gift card to get my money back.

Did I mention that I worked for Target for 7 years, back in the 80s when I was in college. I was a service desk clerk. Back then, we did everything we could to help the Customer. I knew all the angles and was suspicious of "no-receipt returns". I griped about Customers all the time. But you know, when you have ALL THE PROOF your need, AND YOU REMEMBER the exact transaction from the previous day.... you don't pull out this BS. You bring the store manager down with his override key, and you make the Customer happy. I know this, I lived this. I even told them to do an override cash refund, and apply the cash directly to my RED card. Nope. No deal. Sorry lady, you're just screwed.

Something else I learned twenty years ago when I was a Customer Service representative for Target? The average satisfied Customer MAYBE tells one person about their experience -- if they tell anyone at all. The dissatisfied Customer tells about 10 people about a bad experience.

I cut up my RED card. I will also be blogging this, Facebooking, Twittering, Yahooing, etc. Because now I am mad.

Have a good day, Target Team Members!

Review about: Target Homeâ„¢ Rolston Wicker Patio Chaise Lounge.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

JackieB05

I don't blame you for being irked off!If the store employee would have made sure you had your stuff to begin with then you wouldn't have this mess!

Management should have accommodated you for this mistake. The items should have been logged into a notebook before they returned your merchandise to the shelves, your merchandise that was already paid for.

Then Target should have those items waiting for you upon your return to get them.Since you were inconvenienced because you had to come back and get the items they forgot, they should have issued you a gift card for the inconvenience!

MakeMyDay2016
to JackieB05 Fullerton, California, United States #1268438

Or she could have bought a parent or babysitter to the store to make sure she left with everything she paid for since she is not old enough to do that yet.If she feels she is old enough to go shopping by herself she is old enough to make sure she left with everything.

Cutting up her red card also shows her immaturity. People need to grow up these days and admit fault and take responsibility for their mistakes instead of blaming others.

There is another lady demanding that Target give her $500 because someone stole her purse and she had to change the locks.$400 for the changing of the locks and $100 for mental auguish and suffering.

Koaster911

Wow unbelievable, and I only got through half of it!

me
Dallas, Texas, United States #613649

I think it is awful that these people were so lazy and it cost you something!

Will remember that in the future before choosing Target...

to me #1097067

Personal responsibility works both ways.What you learned about the average customer telling 20 people about bad things and one if even about good service shows how selfish and ungrateful people are, you apparently one of them.

Us American's are like that apparently, we take too much for granted.They don't care that you childishly cut up your red card

MakeMyDay2016
to Anonymous Fullerton, California, United States #1268439

Don't forget she childishly blames Target for her being irresponsible. It is people like her that makes Americans look bad.

confused

Why didn't they just return the items back to your card?

If you purchased it from your card, it would be default go back to it.

It is too bad you had a poor experience, from my perspective there should have been no problem doing this as they manually enter the item numbers from the receipt as a return since they had record of the left items.

KMAN

Alright. I'll go halfsies here.

I agree they should have handled it better. Working at Target (though for the record I am NOT representing them in this post, I'm not working right now, I'm not being paid, this is unofficial, my opinion and not that of Target), I would've put the *** items back on your card. Simple as that. It would have been more complicated register-wise, but I would have weasled my way around it. Sometimes there's some weasling that needs to be done to make the guest happy. Simple as that.

HOWWWWEVER.

I don't know. I'm going back and forth on if that was completely ridiculous or not to add in the disability thing. My husband is on the autism spectrum and there's some things I have to help him with, like he's very awkward making phone calls. Once I made a few calls for him and well he started making me a list of people who needed to be called. No way jose. The point of my story is, yes you need and deserve some assistance, but you still have to take care of your own. You can't lose your independence. Checking to make sure you have all of your bags is the perfect example. The cashier probably missed the last bag because I'd say maybe once a week we have to load a cart for someone.

Ilacha

Very true, that happened to me too.... thiefs!!!!!

KevinRichards
to Ilacha #1022514

They are not thieves if you are not capable of making sure you left with everything you bought.