10.5K views

I purchased a TV from Target about 6 months ago.The TV started to make some buzzing recently, so I contacted the manufacturer to review my options and warranty.

They opened a claim and asked me to get them a copy of the reciept. I dug through my information, however, I was not able to find it. I contacted the local Target store where I bought the item and they said to find out what day I purchased the item and they would be able to print a paper receipt on regular paper that the manufacturer can use. She indicated that the manufacturer will take these receipts for warranty work.

Later that week, I stopped into the local Target store and was told they can only go back 90 days. The person there gave me the 800 Customer Service number, which I called. The jist of the conversation was that once the transaction at the store is completed the receipts are sealed and there is "NO WAY" to get a duplicate receipt or a copy of the transaction that will satisfy what the manufacturer will accept. I do understand that it is my responsibility to keep the receipt and shame on me for intentionally losing it.

However, I can go to many other local chain stores and get receipts for up to 2 years after my transaction, like Menards (Hardware/lumber store). I even called our local Walmart and they said they could as well if we knew the exact date I purchased the item, which I do have. In any sense the canned responses I received from the Customer Service area was not very customer oriented.

For a company as large as Target, I have a hard time understanding how they could not help in this type of situation.I am sure this topic has come up before.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

LadyScot

I did not need to read any further than "I COULD NOT FIND MY RECEIPT".

Just because I can scratch my nose with my toe does not mean anyone else can, or will.

If you have paid for the TV through a Master / Visa card than it is so easy to find, check your statement and get the date of your purchase from there. it is acceptable at target and other major retailers to claim a warranty. and also in future when purchase something take a photo or scan and e mail to you e mail id in this way you will never lose your receipt.

Here's the point.It's ridiculously easy and cheap for a company to store the data from old business transactions, even for a company as large as Target.

Wal-Mart is a company that successfully does so. It comes down to efficient accounting on the side of the business and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. We're talking plain text here, which has a file-size of virtually nothing. This data is converted into a "receipt" image afterwards.

It would cost *next to nothing* for Target to keep that data.

Have you looked up how cheap hard-drives are nowadays?

You can buy a 4 TB hard-drive for $100.You could download ALL OF WIKIPEDIA and it would fill up 42 GB, or 1 PERCENT (1 dollar's worth) of that hard-drive.

Understand technology Target!!!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #843688

I am having a similar experience.I purchased one of the popular exercise bracelets 2 months ago and didn't bother saving the receipt (doh!).

Now I have a warranty issue and Target assured me they can pull the receipt using my Redcard account. At the store, this requires the assistance of an "LOD" (manager) but so far we haven't been able to locate the receipt.

We'll keep trying.It always seems like you just have to eventually find the right person who really knows what they are doing...

#819522

Obviously the person responding an hour ago has no idea what good customer service is about. Probably works for Target and trying to make sure they don't go out of business so he/she looses her minimum wage job.

MattD78
to Anonymous Orlando, Florida, United States #819540

No, that poster was correct.Be responsible and keep your receipt.

That is not the store's responsibility, it is the customer's.Typical human response, let's blame everyone but ourselves even when it's obvious we are the ones at fault.

to MattD78 #819560

Nice try. Not choosing Target is a choice of the customer and obviously from first quarter results, the customers have chosen. lol :$

First Born Triplet
to Anonymous #820450

No they do have a good point, that does not mean they work at Target, why do people assume that someone works for a company if they tell the OP off, most stores are getting stricter about receipts.

to Anonymous #820452

My guess is that you are a child.Only a child would ASSume that because a person is telling the customer to be more responsible about their receipt that they work for Target.

Only a child would blame a company because they lost their receipt. I agree with Mike here, that people are not accepting personal responsibility these days and if you and some of the other posters are over the age of seven I feel bad for our next generation. It is just going to get worse with people not taking personal responsibility for their actions. Yeah this is probably not good customer service, but what about doing the adult thing and taking responsibility for your losing the receipt.

This is just a consequence of losing the receipt.

When you are older and more mature you will learn that your actions have consequences.Accepting blame is being outdated, blaming others for your actions is becoming more trendy with these children.

to Anonymous Orange, California, United States #1023450

Telling them the truth about responsibility does not mean they work for Target. Also learn to spell before bashing others. Learn the difference between lose and loose.