I recently had to return a Mod CD player to Target because it did not work.I told the CSr that I simply wanted to exchange it for another one that did work.

First she told me I could not exchange it or get a refund without a receipt. I explained to her that i did not want a refund, simply to exchange it. Again, she quoted their policy and proceded to point at it above her head and tell me that it was posted all over the store. I then explained that my company had purchased gifts for over 100 children through Children's Restoration Network and that I had no idea where to get the receipt.

(She looked at me as though she had heard that story before) AGAIN, she quoted the policy. I finally said, look! you are going to have so many pissed off customers after Christmas who will want to EXCHANGE an item without a receipt. All I want is what I paid for.

She FINALLY agreed to let me go and see if the "exact same item" (she made that very clear) was in the store, so I proceded back to electronics for my 24.99 CD player. I found the item and brought it up front. I asked her if I could open it to make sure this one worked and she informed me that it would because "those items are never returned".

I felt like a complete *** the way she treated me!

That is the LAST time I shop at Target. And I will tell all my freinds and family about it as well.

This could and probably SHOULD be the downfall of Target.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Quote = Holly H

“All I could get were employees who rudely, robotically quoted the " no return or exchange without the receipt" I don't believe that this is reasonable during the Christmas season especially.”

Just an observation from the Customer Service counter (and other customer interactions).A guest that does not get their own way, regardless of policy or the interpersonal skills of the store’s staff, will always and without fail say the person helping them is RUDE.

There is a fundamental problem in modern society. Anyone blocked from what they expect (rightly or wrongly) must have been offended, cheated, or somehow put down.

We live in a society of unreasonable expectations and entitlements.It’s all very sad.

Quote = Lisa.gore

“I recently had to return a Mod CD player to Target because it did not work. I told the CSr (SIC) that I simply wanted to exchange it for another one that did work. First she told me I could not exchange it or get a refund without a receipt.”

Let’s stop you right there. Why do you suppose the store requires proof of purchase for an exchange? If you noodle through the problem you too will insist on a receipt before making an exchange, regardless of how deserving the guest’s story may sound.

Quote = Lisa.gore

“I then explained that my company had purchased gifts for over 100 children through Children's Restoration Network and that I had no idea where to get the receipt.”

Then how do you know that the item in question was purchased at a Target store?

Quote = Lisa.gore

“I finally said, look! you are going to have so many pissed off customers after Christmas who will want to EXCHANGE an item without a receipt.”

Really?!?

Quote = Lisa.gore

“All I want is what I paid for.”

Interesting. If you did indeed pay for this item then you would have the receipt. Unless the item in question was a gift or sold to you by another entity. In which case you should take it to their return desk for exchange or refund.

Quote = Lisa.gore

“I asked her if I could open it to make sure this one worked and she informed me that it would because "those items...

What is so hard to follow? The previous items that are returned to the store are returned to the vendor for credit. Unless they are in 100% unopened condition (an unwanted gift for example) the items can’t be put back on the sales floor. The TM should have told you this but was probably wishing for you to go away by that time.

Quote = Lisa.gore

“I felt like a complete *** the way she treated me! That is the LAST time I shop at Target. And I will tell all my friends (sic) and family about it as well.”

Well, so you should. If you did you part as a guest instead of ranting and raving and not listening to the TM or following the stated policy, you would have got your defective item exchanged and be on your way. Feel free to tell everyone you can, I don’t think you have nearly the influence you imagine, and if you did you would not be wasting your valuable time on this forum. You are now committed yourself to a life long boycott of a major retailer over a $25 transaction? What are you priorities in life?

Christmas 'tis the season...for crooks trying to pull all kinds of *** on retailers.

Anyone who's worked in customer service, knows the stories and lies that customers bring.

Bending over and taking it does NOT equal "good" customer service, it leads to higher costs to others.I say this as a small business owner NOT as a corporate face..

Buckeye, Arizona, United States #1930

Very typical of my experience with Target and trying to return a Christmas gift. I was familiar with the store return policy however, I felt like I had extenuating circumstances and was just trying to exchange a gift. All I could get were employees who rudely, robotically quoted the " no return or exchange without the receipt" I don't believe that this is reasonable during the Christmas season especially.