I had purchased products at the Target store in Santa Rosa CA, but had to return several of the items because they didn't fit.When I purchased them I paid by writing a check.

So when I took back these items the customer service clerk told me that I couldn't get a refund then. She said that, because I had written a check, I had to wait for fourteen days for the check to "clear" the bank. I don't know what time warp Target lives in, but it doesn't take 14 days for a check to clear a bank in this day and age. I checked my bank account activity on-line, and sure enough that check to Target "cleared" my bank the very next day after I wrote it!

I had already endured the rude behavior of the original clerk who checked me out and now I was required to endure the inconvenience of out-dated check cashing policies.

Target needs to improve their customer service policies and be more careful of who they hire to meet and serve the needs of their customers!I don't shop Target!

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Use an ATM card, fool

Quote=”irate customer”

“I had already endured the rude behavior of the original clerk who checked me out”

This sounds like an older person, someone demanding respect through ageism. If so then everyday in the modern world is going to be a struggle.

Quote=”irate customer”

“I was required to endure the inconvenience of out-dated check cashing policies.”

I’m not familiar with your check cashing policy standard. Why is the Target policy of fourteen days out-dated?

Quote=”irate customer”

“Target needs to improve their customer service policies and be more careful of who they hire to meet and serve the needs of their customers!”

Perhaps so. It sounds as though you would do a much better job than any existing LOD, I just can’t understand why you’re not already running the company today?

Quote=”irate customer”

“I don't shop Target!” Then why are you posting to a Target specific discussion forum? BTW, you won’t be missed at Target if you ban yourself. Keep it up and you’ll soon run out of retailers for any shopping you might need.

None of this would have happened had you tried the clothes on before buying them - you're not a size 1 anymore honey - quit trying to fool yourself.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #152145

Why do you kids assume that because someone says no or you can't that it eauals to rudeness. In that case your parents and teachers are rude for correcting your behavior. You are a kid, and don't know how the world works but just because the check cleared does not mean the whole process is done.

yea...this isn't just target..

and it's not all targets. I've had this happen at some places like fleet farm, and home depot when I tried to return things... after writing a check.

however the target here does NOT do that.so don't blame target for a normal retail issue retard.

Awka, Anambra, Nigeria #146115

The reason stores don't give refunds on checks for 14 days is that it can take that long for them to get a check back if it bounces.They have no idea if your check cleared or not and can only wait to see if it gets returned.

If you can check your account activity on line I'd bet your bank offers check cards.If you had used a check card they would have credited you check card without a waiting period.

I'm kind of confused because it seems you wrote both this and the review right below this one, on the same day.Did you purchase and try to return on the same day?

In that case, no, they would not refund your money in cash, because you may be trying to float that check. I'm fairly sure companies that don't electronically debit the funds hold the same policy. I don't think they mean it will take 14 days to clear your bank account, but that it could take that long.

I've had purchases go through immediately, and I've had purchases go through a week or so later, so it's an understandable policy.The register doesn't know that your check has cleared, so it goes by a standard 14 days based on your purchase date to give time to those transactions that take longer.

Quote=”Irate”

“I had purchased products at the Target store in Santa Rosa CA, but had to return several of the items because they didn't fit. When I purchased them I paid by writing a check.”

Your first mistake! This is the 21st Century…

Quote=”Irate”

“So when I took back these items the customer service clerk told me that I couldn't get a refund then. She said that, because I had written a check, I had to wait for fourteen days for the check to "clear" the bank.”

That is correct. Your use of paper checks forces Target and the bank to hand process the transaction and refund. You painted yourself in a corner!

Quote=”Irate”

“I don't know what time warp Target lives in, but it doesn't take 14 days for a check to clear a bank in this day and age. I checked my bank account activity on-line, and sure enough that check to Target "cleared" my bank the very next day after I wrote it!”

Well it’s certainly good to see that you can use modern tools such as online banking. But you only have half the story. Your online data reflects your bank’s activity and not that of Target. The reasonable and customary fourteen days is to give Target TMs enough time to process your transaction and issue a refund. Along the way they need to check that the transaction was not fraud. Yes, you’re an honest person, but Target has to assume you’re not to reduce their exposure to fraud. Doing it any other way...

There’s only one time warp here – You and paper checks! Really!?!

Enid

Also, as a former Target employee, I know for a fact that they will offer a gift card in the event that a check has not cleared.Usually it takes 5-8 business days for it to clear and after that, they will offer cash back.

You can ask them to call their Guest Services and check for the exact date that your return can be refunded for cash.

If they refuse, ask to speak to their manager.Until that date, though, you're limited to store credit.

THat's normal police and good business practices on their end.Just b/c the check has cleared does not mean the entire process is 100% complete w/in the banking system.

Also, some banks clear checks faster then others, or if you happen to bank at the same bank Target uses it will clear faster. Check fraud is running rampant and a VERY common tactic that scam artists use is to return items for a refund written on a bad check, thus pocketing the money and leaving the merchant holding the bag. Target was showing good business practices.

Use your debit card if you want instant returns.Plus if you lose your reciept they can look up your reciept via their computer.