I have shopped at Target for many years and have easily spent thousands of dollars at this store (Albuquerque, New Mexico). However, because of their terribe return and exchange policy, I am boycotting Target and I will never spend my money there again.

The first incident was when I bought a TV stand (pressed wood, unassembled, in a box) for approximately $150. The TV stand was meant for the kids' game room. I stored the unopened box in the garage until the room was recarpeted and ready to set up for the kids (perhaps 3-4 months). When I finally got around to opening the box, I saw the that "wood" was cracked and warped. I packed up the box and brought it back to Target, only to be told that without an original receipt, I would be unable to exchange the item. Of course I did not have the receipt...who saves receipts on every little thing they buy.

The rude manager reiterated the return policy several times and would not budge or do anything for me. I was treated like a criminal trying to get over on a big corporation. I left the damaged product and the "customer service" desk and walked out with nothing.

Fast foward to this year. My daughter had a birthday party and received duplicates on a few toys. I did not have a gift receipt. Tried to exchange the items for toys my daughter did not have. Note that Target carried all of these toys, and the ones I wanted to exchange were unopened. Target gave me about $30 for toys valued at over $100. When I pointed out the difference between the sales prices (the same items were right there on the shelf), again I was quoted the receipt policy, and was told that since some of the items had been on sale within the last 90 days, they can only give me the lowest sale price.

This store continually rips people off by playing the "receipt" line, and always makes errors in favor of the store. Customers are treated like common criminals trying to steal from big, bad Target.

Review about: Target Manager.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Quote=”Yeppers”

“Fascinating fable of the Tortoise and the Hare, "May I Help".”

Thank you – it’s my original work of pure fiction. Should I publish it?

Quote=”Yeppers”

“Fascinating how the Tortoise is so polite and friendly and the Hare is cross, badly spoken and foul mouthed.”

Like any good fable the characters are exaggerated to emphasis the allegory.

Quote=”Yeppers”

“I guess the people who keep all their receipts really are just plain better people than others.”

Unlikely, but if that helps you run your life better, who am I to stop you?

Quote=”Yeppers”

“Like those super friendly Target employees who really do care about you.”

Yeah! Let’s hear it for the TMs! They are doing thankless work for little reward, and dealing with the general public is a challenge for anyone, dealing with the ETLs equally so. Retail has very little ‘value add’ and only makes sense in huge numbers (of transactions, at razor thin margins). The buying public gets exactly what they deserve. More importantly they get exactly what they are willing to pay for it. Those not happy are free to vote with their feet and shop elsewhere. Retailers will continue to court them back to the check out lines with promotions, bargains, and ‘new this’ or ‘new that’. Unicorns will frolic in the sunny meadow under rainbows skies, with strawberry scented happy smiles, and everyone...

Quote=”Yeppers”

“Target - Expect More, Be Disappointed.”

Then shop in another store…

Fascinating fable of the Tortoise and the Hare, "May I Help".Fascinating how the Tortoise is so polite and friendly and the Hare is cross, badly spoken and foul mouthed.

Or maybe that is just in fables.Like those super friendly Target employees who really do care about you.

Target - Expect More, Be Disappointed.

Quote=” Written by Target does not care that you”

“Target does not care about your thousands of dollars and your fake royalty.”

Did you mean LOYALTY. Royalty is something quite different!

roy•al•ty (roil-t)

n. pl. roy•al•ties

a. A person of royal rank or lineage.

b. Monarchs and their families considered as a group.

2. The lineage or rank of a monarch.

3. The power, status, or authority of a monarch.

4. Royal quality or bearing.

5. A kingdom or possession ruled by a monarch.

6. A right or prerogative of the crown, as that of receiving a percentage of the proceeds from mines in the royal domain.

a. The granting of a right by a monarch to a corporation or an individual to exploit specified natural resources.

b. The payment for such a right.

a. A share paid to a writer or composer out of the proceeds resulting from the sale or performance of his or her work.

b. A share in the proceeds paid to an inventor or a proprietor for the right to use his or her invention or services.

9. A share of the profit or product reserved by the grantor, especially of an oil or mining lease. Also called override.

Quote=”Yeppers”

“Oh, the Golden Receipt.”

How about the fable by Aesop called “The Tortoise and the Hare” instead? Goes something like this;

The Hare shops at Walmart, and never keep her receipts, but her friend the Tortoise shops at Target, and always does. Both need to return something that they bought from Target, where even the Hare agrees the Target store is cleaner, the Target TMs are friendly, and the Target product selection is amazing! After just one visit the Hare started to Expect More, and Pay Less! But I digress…

At GS (Guest Services) the Tortoise presents the item and his carefully saved receipt. The friendly Target TM offers either a refund to the Tortoise’s Red Card, or a Gift Card to spend in the store. The Tortoise takes less than three minutes with the helpful Target TM.

The Hare in next in line, and she tells the GS TM that they don’t got no receipt, only idiots keep receipts, like, at Walmart and stuff. The TM explains that a return without a receipt or a Gift Receipt is limited to seventy dollars and only available as a Gift Card.

The Hare is very, very, cross and swears at the poor GS TM. The GS TM, who is really a very nice person, decides to call the GSTL (Guest Services Team Leader) on the Walkie (two-way radio). Soon the GSTL is there telling the Hare that the Target rules are fair and apply to everyone without a receipt. The Hare uses more very bad words, and demands to see the...

Is the OP the Hare or the Tortoise? Would it not be easier in their world to just keep the receipt for everything they buy, no matter how much its value or the certainty of keeping and using the item? Why not also keep the box, the paperwork, and any accessories, just in case, you know, it may have to be returned under warranty one day? They can always make a little room in their closet or garage and toss the items ‘next year’ when the return privilege expires.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #164138

Yeppers, even Target employees lose the receipt.Working at Target perhaps if they lost their receipt they would be able to return an item.

Wal-mart and Kmart have the same policy. However like somoene else(Irish) said this person needs to grow up. I don't think this person is a child for losing their receipt. People misplace things from time to time.

However like Irish said. The reason they need proof of payment is because of scammers. At a Wal-mart in Atlanta a man picked up shoes off the sales floor. He claimed he got the shoes as a Christmas gift and had no receipt.

It turned out the manager saw him pick up the shoes off the floor and try to get a refund for something he never bought. This happens in every retail store. Blame people like that man and many other scammers who make it harder for us.

Like I said I don't think you are acting childish because you lost your receipt and because your relatives did not give one.

I am calling you childish because of your temper tantrum where you told everyone to shut up because they did not agree with you. Target does not care about your thousands of dollars and your fake royalty. They make that much in an hour. I too am one of those people who find it annoying when someone brags about how much money they spendd, and how "royal" they are to the company.

Then the first time something goes wrong all that "royalty" goes down the drain.

You were never a royal customer, and I...

Oh, the Golden Receipt.Why would anyone toss that sacred paper?

It seems Target employees have saved every receipt they have ever gotten.Others of us do not have the time or space to file receipts we receive for products we (mistakenly in the case of Target) assume will be suitable for the purpose we buy them for.

Quote= “shut up”

“Why don't you all shut up.”

Because this is a discussion board. The basic premise is that comments are made in response to the OP.

Quote= “shut up”

“It is obvious you all work at Target.”

Some of us do, some of did, some of us don’t. Seems obvious to me…

Quote= “shut up”

“The manager is rude. I bet you work at the same one I went to.”

And you’re not rude. Hmm. Must be a new definition of “rude”. I’ll take your bet!! There are only one thousand, six hundred, and ninety-nine Target stores in the USA. I like those odds! Put your money where your mouth is, and we’ll see who’s right.

Quote= “shut up”

“Get off my letter if you losers are going to harass me. Idiots.”

Harass? Aren’t you the touchy one? No wonder you’re easily upset in the real world. Yes, we are all idiots. In fact we’re whatever you’d like to call us, if it makes you feel any better about yourself. Bottom line is you’ll still have to deal with life, so get used to it!

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #162963

Why don't you all shut up.It is obvious you all work at Target.

Well don't worry I won't be back. The manager is rude. I bet you work at the same one I went to.

Get off my letter if you losers are going to harass me.Idiots.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“I would rather pay more for an item and know that I can return it, no questions asked, than be treated like @!*! at Target!”

You have the freedom to bad yourself from Target (or any other retailer). You willnot be missed.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“Customers are treated like common criminals trying to steal from big, bad Target.”

Once again, what experience of criminals do you have to judge Target fairly?

Why is Target “big” and “bad”. Does honest business practice operate with limits of corporate size? Or, are you again inflating your claims?