My wife bought me new electric razor blades for my Christmas stocking. A couple weeks later I unwrap it and realize it is the incorrect model.

We go to Target to exchange for the correct version and they explain they do not exchange products but refund only. I guess this would be OK if we still had the receipt handy which we didn't. Weeks later we find the receipt and return to target for the refund when they tell us the receipt had expired. Of course nobody in customer service including the manager cared about the circumstances involved.

I called target customer service and sent them an unhappy email but they were going to hold their ground. I have experience in retail management, I understand the importance of following policies, but never lost a customer over a silly technicality. I thought wal-mart had become "too big for their britches" but at least they still know how to handle returns and customer service.

I sold the replacement razor blades on ebay for a $10 loss and haven't spent over $50 at target in the two years since. I lost money and respect for target so they will lose for many years to come.

Comments

upsetmother

Boo hoo, you were never retail manager, and if you were and you authorized the employee go against the company you are just as bad as them for making your employee look bad for following procedure.

My personal favorite about Target is their sexually deviants at top management who have no problem have a man walk into a Lady's restroom and take a pee in front of a 10 year old girl, simply he claims he "thinks" he's a woman. This opens the door to every sexual *** to abuse children.

Get caught exposing yourself in front of a little girl? Target doesn't care.

Just so long as you woke up that morning believing you're a female with a male appendage. Who can really know if this *** is just faking his "belief" that he's a woman anyway?

Quote=”Annoyed”

“Well since I did do this for a living and I did get paid for it I would know a little something about it.”

So are you “on the clock” now? Or sharing your wisdom in your spare time? Aren’t you at risk of blowing your own cover by biting the hand that feeds you?

Or, none of the above.

Quote=”Annoyed”

“Please, now toddle off to mock everyone some more and prove my point... oh wait, you already did.”

Do you think I mocked you? That wasn’t my intention. I just inserted some facts and made you look silly. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Quote=”Annoyed”

“Maybe no one ever told you, the more you talk the less people listen.”

Perhaps I hear that all the time and I’m too *** to listen? Do you have an axe to grind here, or perhaps you think you’ve exposed a scam or misrepresentation by Target Corp because it’s the same game that you claim to have done as a career. Just wondering…

Well since I did do this for a living and I did get paid for it I would know a little something about it. You on the other hand are either working out of a "playbook" or you are a "troll." Please, now toddle off to mock everyone some more and prove my point...

oh wait, you already did. Maybe no one ever told you, the more you talk the less people listen.

Informative note.

The party known as 'May I Help You Fin Something?' is doing something known as "online reputation management". For those of you unfamiliar with this let me explain how it works.

A company with a bad reputation on consumer review sites and blogs hires an independent contract organization to help improve their reputation. To do this the contracted company is provided with anything from store specific details to a full back history of an "employee" in order to sound as convincing as possible. Here are some sure-fire ways to spot them:

They seem to respond to almost every post about a certain company. Even complaints that are small in nature. After all, if it seems like they are being defensive, that is their job.

All of their posts look like they were written in a "rehearsed" manner. Most people reading this have been on the internet long enough to know the "language." By this I mean the usual typos, internet slag, etc. This person will probably have something to say along the lines of, "Just because I am educated enough to spell correctly doesn't mean I am not genuine." You have no idea how many times I have seen these companies posing as a teen working in a department store that writes as if they are typing up their doctorate.

Do they answer every post with a series of questions, almost like they are cross-examining the original poster? Because that is exactly what they are doing. Much like a lawyer in a court their job is to discredit the original poster and place doubt in your mind.

This poster will most likely respond in a manner asking for proof as to what I have just posted. I am afraid the only proof I can off is that I know all these things from past experience of having done them myself. I have no delusions that I will actually stop this company from posting here because that is what they are paid to do. All I hope to do here is provide a little bit of education from someone who worked the other side of the fence.

Good luck, and remember the old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." applies to people as well as merchandise.

That would be me

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Now you are implying that poor customer service at target is acceptable as long as wal-mart has substandard service as well. Unfortunately for target even wal-mart tries to resolve issues without using the "not my problem" attitude.”

That is not what I’m saying. These are your words and agenda. So far you have misrepresented your problem as a Target guest, and you have set an unreasonable expectation for Target by comparing it to your industry (which you have also kept secret). You will continue to shop in our stores or you won’t. Either way you are welcome!

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Good customer service is not reserved for any particular industry and is an (sic) universal benchmark in customer retention. The key to customer satisfaction in any business is that you are not just selling a product or service but most importantly your company image.”

Once again this is your view of the world. It does not match the hands on experience of a successfully run company (such as Target, where I do have first hand experience).

Target is thirty third on the Fortune 500 ranking, and has a net income of $2,787 billion.

It operates approximately 1700 US retail stores. Even you’ll have to concede that is impressive!

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Please do us a favor and don't pretend to have experience or knowledge that clearly eludes you.”

I don’t. You are welcome to visit any one of our stores, even the one where I work. If you join our team you’ll quickly see that things are done in a particular way to give our guests the best shopping experience and good value for their money. Any endeavor with humans will have difficulties and issues, and that is also true of Target stores. The great majority of guests enjoy shopping in our stores and the few difficult guests are handled politely.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“A page full of pointless contradictions and weak opinions doesn't make you appear anything but delusional.”

Then don’t waste you valuable time reading them. Or repeatedly posting a follow up.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“This is because the only point you have validated so far is how ignorance and persistance (sic) are a bad combination.”

Let’s assume that I am indeed ignorant, it’s not going to change the outcome of your failed transaction in a Target store, nor is it going to change your opinion of me. In fact it’s interesting to note that you’ve switched to personal attacks when your OP was shot full of holes.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“If your mission is to fill up this forum with nonsense...time to grow up and move on with your life.”

What if that is indeed my mission? Aren’t you aiding and abetting by your further posts here?

Quote from:May I Help You Find Something?

"There is a demand for this level of service and several companies deliver it day in and day out. However, those same companies do not compete with Target for the same guests, nor do they come close to matching the Target prices."

Quote from:May I Help You Find Something?

"You can’t take the experience of one sector and apply it to other sectors with a broad brush."

Good customer service is not reserved for any particular industry and is an universal benchmark in customer retention. The key to customer satisfaction in any business is that you are not just selling a product or service but most importantly your company image.

Here is something else you can quote: Please do us a favor and don't pretend to have experience or knowledge that clearly eludes you. A page full of pointless contradictions and weak opinions doesn't make you appear anything but delusional. This is because the only point you have validated so far is how ignorance and persistance are a bad combination. If your mission is to fill up this forum with nonsense...time to grow up and move on with your life.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“If you STILL don't have a complaint maybe you should get a life, hobby, or go walk your bull terrier "spot".”

This makes no sense at all. Did you expect the only people reading your postings to only be other posters with complaints? Are suggesting that those of us here without complaints are unwelcome? Did you read any of my recent posts to this thread?

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“If you are employed by Target and are wasting your personal time to probe forums in search of "pissed comsumers (sic)" that is pathetic.”

Yes and No. Employed by Target, but not wasting my time here.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“If you would spend valuable time defending their poor customer service this is disturbing for you and your family.”

Really!?! And you know this because of what? Reread the recent posts, the replies to your saga are not defending Target, but they are questioning your activity.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“People love to join forums and hide behind their screens for a cheap thrill by criticizing someone else.”

Probably so. If you have been lurking here very long you will know exactly what my role at Target is currently, and which store I work in. I’m certainly not ‘hiding’. Is “Thebartman1970” a screen name?

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“My wife made a mistake by misplacing our receipt and then found it later. So what...get over it morons.”

We are not morons. Wow, your boast “I have experience in retail management” is really shining through now!

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“She made the purchase with her old Wachovia bank card which was destroyed a week later when she joined my account.”

Had you included this important fact in your OP we would have seen that it wasn’t entirely the fault of the TMs trying to help you at the Guest Service counter.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“It would be a nice to go to a major retail establishment and be treated with a little compassion or understanding.”

You (or anyone can) at anytime. There is a demand for this level of service and several companies deliver it day in and day out. However, those same companies do not compete with Target for the same guests, nor do they come close to matching the Target prices.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“If my company treated our guests with the same Target "not my problem" attitude, we certainly would not be ranked #1 in the JD Power customer service rankings.”

If your company was on the same playing field as Target JD Powers wouldn’t be ranking them. You can’t take the experience of one sector and apply it to other sectors with a broad brush.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“But you can be content with the status quo, strive for mediocrity in your career, and life.”

If you believe that for a second you have no idea what you are talking about. You may find an opening at you local Target store, and within a few weeks of working on the sales floor or in the backroom you will have a very different attitude.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“That's your choice in life but not mine. It's lucky for the big box retailers that they are not held to a higher standard like JD Power rankings.”

I agree. No one could afford to shop in your Utopia.

Now comes some more of the story, you never stated before the problem with the cancelled bank card, therefore eliminating one of your options. I could tell from your first post something was missing, because from my experience with Guest Service we are always traine to attempt any return and do what we can to help.

You can't just throw out the generalization that Target's return policy doesn't have options just because it didn't fit your random radical situation. So next time, before you post a complaint, about anywhere, include ALL the facts and it will make for a more valid point.

Erode, Tamil Nadu, India #105664

Message to Target lovers, public relations morons, and pathetic store employees:

Welcome once again to "Pissed Consumer" which is a forum for people like myself who have a grievance with a company or product. If you STILL don't have a complaint maybe you should get a life, hobby, or go walk your bull terrier "spot".

If you are employed by Target and are wasting your personal time to probe forums in search of "pissed comsumers" that is pathetic. If you would spend valuable time defending their poor customer service this is disturbing for you and your family. People love to join forums and hide behind their screens for a cheap thrill by criticizing someone else. My wife made a mistake by misplacing our receipt and then found it later. So what...get over it morons. She made the purchase with her old Wachovia bank card which was destroyed a week later when she joined my account. It only proves that we are just as human as everybody else because nobody is perfect in REAL LIFE.

It would be a nice to go to a major retail establishment and be treated with a little compassion or understanding. If my company treated our guests with the same Target "not my problem" attitude, we certainly would not be ranked #1 in the JD Power customer service rankings. But you can be content with the status quo, strive for mediocrity in your career, and life. That's your choice in life but not mine. It's lucky for the big box retailers that they are not held to a higher standard like JD Power rankings.

upsetmother
to Thebartman1970 Washington Township, Michigan, United States #1164957

There is a difference between poor customer service and following procedure and just because they told him he was wrong does not mean they work at Target. Some people cannot use common sense.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Welocome (sic) to "Pissed Consumer" which is a forum for people like myself who have a grievance with a company or product. If you don't have a complaint maybe you should get a life, hobby, or go walk your bull terrier "spot".”

Yes, this forum is for people like you, with an axe to grind, usually over a trivial misunderstanding by a guest in a major retail store. Those of us that don’t have a complaint are here to read about those that do. We’re also free to comment; only a few of us do put the time and effort into understanding the OP enough to follow the saga, and even fewer of us post. Some of us work for the company, and see examples of guest behavior on every shift. We have front row seats at the human zoo! We post without encouragement or censorship, and we are free to waste our own time here when “not on the clock”. Motivations vary but I find the complainers here to be as nutty as squirrel turds, and I’m free to say what would not be appropriate while I’m wearing my red shirt and name badge.

The host pissedconsumer.com is operated “for profit” and ad revenue is directly proportional to hit traffic on the site’s pages. Nothing more. Some posters will learn something from the replies to their OP, while others, sadly, will not. At the end of the day none of the posters have gathered the momentum to affect the company called out in the complaint. So far we haven’t seen the outcome of any threaten legal action.

So far you haven’t motivated anyone to post in support of your alleged grievance, and you also haven’t acknowledged that you’re the one that tried to bend the rules and get something for nothing. Pity. If you’d followed the store’s policy on returns in the first place you’d have either a refund or an exchange. Better luck next time!

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

So you e-mailed everyone you could, to let them know your wife made a mistake and got the wrong style, and are trying to pin it on Target, then sat around for almost 3 months before caring enough to find the receipt. Laziness doesn't equal Target fault. I would advise using a debit or credit card for purchasing to make returns much simpler to avoid the whole no-receipt problem.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #105043

Message to Target lovers and public relations morons alike:

Welocome to "Pissed Consumer" which is a forum for people like myself who have a grievance with a company or product. If you don't have a complaint maybe you should get a life, hobby, or go walk your bull terrier "spot".

As big companies look for more ways to boost the bottom line, the consumer is left to pay the price in unsatisfactory product quality and customer service. The bottom line is a honest consumer who is not trying to deceive the retailer should be treated like they are valued.

If JD Power rated big box retailers Target, K-mart, and the like would be in for a big surprise. (not a bad idea)

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“We go to Target to exchange for the correct version and they explain they do not exchange products but refund only.”

So far, so good. You are entitled to a refund and with it you could buy the same item, a different item, or pocket the money (if the refund is cash or credit). All you need is a valid receipt.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“I guess this would be OK if we still had the receipt handy which we didn't.”

Oh, dear that will be a problem if you paid by cash or check. On the other hand, if you paid by electronic means (credit or debit card) just present the same card at Guest Service.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Weeks later we find the receipt and return to target for the refund when they tell us the receipt had expired.”

Wow, you wasted ninety days opening and returning a Christmas gift? We’re in mid-January 2010, which Christmas are you discussing?

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“Of course nobody in customer service including the manager cared about the circumstances involved.”

Hearsay. Are you expecting the Team Members involved to be clairvoyant? Or, where you asking a Team Member to bend a policy rule to allow your refund?

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“I called target customer service and sent them an unhappy email but they were going to hold their ground.”

Do you mean that no one would bend the rules for you?

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“I have experience in retail management, I understand the importance of following policies, but never lost a customer over a silly technicality.”

All policies are silly, this you should know from you own experience in business. However, all policies are created to prevent a repeat of a more grievous error. Often one that cost the company something tangible (money, product, time), but rarely something intangible (loyalty, goodwill, future business, repeat business).

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“I thought wal-mart had become "too big for their britches" but at least they still know how to handle returns and customer service.”

So shop at Wal-mart you won’t be missed at Target.

Quote=”Thebartman1970”

“I lost money and respect for target so they will lose for many years to come.”

Hopefully you have learned a lesson that will pay you back handsomely in future years!

Erode, Tamil Nadu, India #104950

Message to "think about this"...

Are you from Target public relations or just brain-dead? I called or emailed every person I could find including Gregg W.

Steinhafel...The CEO...I'm sure you already know the name.

The customer service people at Target are incompetent all the way up the chain. (I never received a reply from the CEO)

Yes, but this was a GIFT, you should ALWAYS give a gift receipt, even if you live with the person you're giving it to. Target also allows reciept look-up via credit card or check depending on form of payment, for those that tend to lose items, I know that I use that method quite often. They also can do no-reciept returns, up to 70 dollars per year, with an ID, so you had many options at your disposal, but instead chose to take a loss and sell elsewhere, this is not Target's fault, and I stand by that.

Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India #104865

You always find someone who think they have all the answers like the last post. We are human beings, "gods greatest creation", but we are not perfect.

We lose or misplace things in life and sometimes we find them again. Keep in mind I did not want a refund, I did find my receipt, and only wanted to exchange for the correct item. Of course the customer in front of me had bags full of discontinued seasonal merchandise and the manager caved in to the tune of over $200. So which decision would seem wiser from the retailer point of view?

In my experiences "on the other side" I made exceptions to the rules and never treated a customer like a thief. I have always subscribed to the idea that the customer wasn't always right, but only human, and should treated be like a human being.

Is it Target's fault that you, or your wife in this case, lost the reciept? It's not their fault a guest cannont hold onto a reciept to prove they bought the item at Target, so in the future, especially in the case of a gift, attach a gift receipt directly to the item and you then have no worries of it getting lost. You say you have retail management experience, yet don't look at the retail aspect of the story.