I purchased a tv from target on July 12, 2010 and paid by check.When I tried to return it with the receipt they would not give me my money back until 10 days had passed or until the check cleared.

fair enough. yesterday, I tried to return the item again, now July 28th, and they said the check still had not cleared and would only give me a gift card not my money.

the check cleared the bank on the 13th.I think this is a scam to keep your money and I will report it to NY 's attorney general.

Review about: Target Gift Card.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

smedrik

It can take up to 10 business days for a cheque to clear.

The cheque may be posted within a day or two which will put the money on hold out of your account, however clearance take a bit longer.

I don't see where the issue is, you can wait or take the card.

They are not trying to scam you, they are trying to prevent you from scamming them. Up until that cheque clears you can put a stop payment on it. And with that stores cash in your pocket, they have no recourse. however, if they give you a store card, they can just deplete the funds to cover their loss.

It is impossible for the check to have cleared on the 13th because the checks have to be sent out in bundles after a couple days. Yes you'll be charged at the time of the transaction...but the check isn't considered cleared until it is received by the Target National Bank.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“I purchased a tv from target on July 12, 2010 and paid by check.”

What was the purchase price of the item?

Quote=”Anonymous”

“When I tried to return it with the receipt they would not give me my money back until 10 days had passed or until the check cleared. fair enough.”

Do you understand why the retailer is holding your check until it clears?

Quote=”Anonymous”

“I tried to return the item again, now July 28th, and they said the check still had not cleared and would only give me a gift card not my money.”

So take the gift card and use it ‘like money’ on your future trips to the store.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“the check cleared the bank on the 13th.”

How do you know this to be true? Are you stating the check cleared your bank? How would you know that your check cleared the bank used by the store?

Quote=”Anonymous”

“I think this is a scam to keep your money and I will report it to NY 's attorney general.”

A scam? Please explain. Who is being scammed? Who is benefiting from the scam? How much money does the scammer gain form this transaction? Would things have been different if you had paid for your item with a credit or debit card?