Target advertised a 4-DVD Ocean's Eleven gift set for $8.99 for Nov.29 to Dec.5, which would be a great deal since the set normally goes for $20 and even Amazon doesn't match that price.Went to my nearest Target mid-morning Nov.

29; they were all out. OK, no big deal, bad luck. Went to another one on my way to work on the 30th--one that had the set in stock according to Target.com--and was informed by a clerk that "we didn't get it yet." Hmmmm, you didn't yet stock an advertised item that was supposed to be available since yesterday? At that point I concluded I was the victim of the dishonest baiting tactics I've been reading about, so I immediately dropped the other merchandise I was going to purchase and left angry.

Just checked the weekly flyer feature on Target.com and now, poof, a window pops up that says "no additional information is available" when you click on this product.Walks like a scam, talks like a scam......I used to like Target, not so much anymore.

Review about: Target Deal.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

nothappypissed

Im sorry but I have to add as a fellow employee of target in california.Im not here to insult you or protect target I just want to let you know atleast how most Targets work.

First, when target.com says the item is available in store and online it means that the item is CARRIED in the store your looking at it doesnt guarantee that it will be in stock because hundreds of people come through the store everyday and the item could be bought before it can be updated on the system. When we do in-store checks to see if the item is in stock, if it says less than 5, we USUALLY (if the store is run properly)and if its not on the shelf we let the guest know that means the numbers are what we call "ghosts" meaning we had the item in stock but it takes 24 hours for the numbers to go to zero because we cant update the system until the store is closed in case more items are purchased. Also about the "ad" that you said ran from the 30th of November to the 5th of December? There was no such add at that length.

Our NORMAL ad lasts 7 days and changes the next Sunday but We had a 2 day sale for Black friday and the saturday after. Then we had a 5 day sale after leading to the 5th. So im just assuming since you went at the start of the ad on the 29th the sale only lasted 5 days and therefore sold out very quickly. We get trucks of product in everyday, but we literally have no idea what comes on the trucks which is unforntunate.

Im sorry your experience was bad but most...

Quote=”Original poster”

“From your response, you appear to be an employee of Target”

Correct! One of over 350,000 Team Members. (Or roughly one in one thousand people in the population of the USA).

Quote=”Original poster”

“I hope you are not representative of the kind of people they hire. Your otherwise insulting comments do not merit response and are more of a comment on you and your company than me. I will leave it to other visitors to this website to gauge who has the "attitude" problem.”

Probably me, I think that’s your point. When “on the clock” I do as I’m told and serve Target’s guests as directed. I have merits and rewards for my efforts. When not on the clock I’m free to express myself here and other places. After about a year of lurking on this site I’ve see common traits running through the posters, and one is they’re usually uninformed consumers. Another is that they have a strong sense of entitlement and if a retailer doesn’t read their minds and serve their needs immediately they run to complain.

Fortunately these people are less than one percent of the guests I work with on a typical shift. Try your hand at retail sales or any task that directly serves the public and you will likely come away with some empathy or at least a little enlightenment.

Quote=”Original poster”

“3.I did not say "bait and switch." I said "bait." My understanding is that some stores will advertise huge savings on products to lure customers to stores, then inform said customers that the item is "back ordered" or otherwise unavailable.

The hope is that the customer will nevertheless stay and buy something else at a better profit margin. Kind of like a loss leader, without the loss.”

Of course they do that! Are you a child? Why on earth would a retailer not want to bring guests into the store?

Especially on a weekday holiday when most people have indulged in too much food and booze the day before. The attention getting items are called “door busters” for a reason! We want massive response and brisk transactions. Don’t worry you’re not the only person that struggles with the concept – there was no shortage of guests asking for door buster items the next day!

Oddly they were upset at us for not having enough quantity for everyone throughout the weekend.Obviously they’re unclear on the concept…

Quote=”Original poster”

“2. You state that stores cannot sell what they do not have. My response: (a) Why advertise something for Nov. 29 to Dec. 5 if you are not going to have it in inventory during that time period? (b) Why show the product being in stock on that day when it is not, as I noted in point 1?”

Because the effort to organize a national roll out requires lead time and promises by vendors that items will be where they’re needed on the date that they are needed. Retail operations are JIT (Just In Time), means that merchandise are seldom stock piled somewhere for ages before being offered for sale. There is slack built into the system in that, for example, we will likely get street-dated materials for Dec 8th tomorrow (Dec 1st). But if we don’t get those items until after Dec 8th (in this example) it is impossible to cancel the newspaper delivered ad, the local media coverage, the national media coverage, or signage prepared and deployed in the stores for that date.

Do you know of any national retailer that gets it right all the time?

Quote=”Original poster”

“1.Target's online site showed the product being in stock at the store I visited this morning.

It was not. Ergo, the system is not reliable, contrary to my experience with other stores' inventory systems.”

Reread my previous comments about inventory databases.

I always tell guests seeking “other stores” look ups in our store to use the phone before driving across town.What is so hard about this?

Errol, New Hampshire, United States #90840

Response to "May I Help You Find Something?":

1. Target's online site showed the product being in stock at the store I visited this morning. It was not. Ergo, the system is not reliable, contrary to my experience with other stores' inventory systems.

3. I did not say "bait and switch." I said "bait." My understanding is that some stores will advertise huge savings on products to lure customers to stores, then inform said customers that the item is "back ordered" or otherwise unavailable. The hope is that the customer will nevertheless stay and buy something else at a better profit margin. Kind of like a loss leader, without the loss.

4. The message regarding the product on the website only popped up late this morning.

From your response, you appear to be an employee of Target, but I hope you are not representative of the kind of people they hire. Your otherwise insulting comments do not merit response and are more of a comment on you and your company than me. I will leave it to other visitors to this website to gauge who has the "attitude" problem.

Quote=”used electron”

“Was there to buy a camarea (sic)”.

“Brot (sic) it home opened it and found it was USED after paying retail.”

That’s unfortunate but not impossible. The generous return policy offered by Target stores is often abused by guests. A lot of cameras are returned to the store after school graduations and public holidays – guests just ‘borrow’ the new camera and return it in a few days.

The guest service TMs are required to inspect high value returns and match serial numbers. This doesn’t always happen, and it falls to individual store ETLs to get this done. In some stores an electronics department trained TM is required to “sign off’ on high value returns by inspecting the items presented for refund or exchange. Any defects, missing accessories, or wear result in the item going to salvage and not to sales floor (or back stock room). This is an expensive activity for the store as these items count against loss and shrinkage. TMs have been disciplined for skipping this step.

I have personally seen guests buy a new camera or video game console and return their old (and defective) one in the new box on the next day. I’m amazed that Target often accepts these back for a full refund. I have served a couple of guests that do this several times per year, yet I must follow the ETL rules and allow the exchange. Sad.

Quote=”used electron”

“Returned it later that day. Yep every...

Well, you’re either spoiled or not very streetwise. No one is there to protect you form yourself. Let this be a teachable moment, next time you spend over, say, fifty bucks on a retail purchase have the store open the box and check the contents before you pay for it.

Quote=”used electron”

1st and last visit to target.”

Pity.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“Target advertised a 4-DVD Ocean's Eleven gift set for $8.99 for Nov.29 to Dec.5”

Indeed that item is available in seven of ten local Target stores and at Target.com as DPCI: 058-23-0430 (Two stores are ‘limited availability’ and one ‘out of stock’ when I checked this morning).

Quote=”Anonymous”

“and was informed by a clerk that "we didn't get it yet."

Many Target stores receive time-sensitive merchandise by FedEx or UPS on the day of release. Often these shipments do not drop at the store’s receiving until mid afternoon. Stores can’t sell what they don’t have on hand!

Quote=”Anonymous”

“Hmmmm, you didn't yet stock an advertised item that was supposed to be available since yesterday?”

The weekly ad is composed many weeks in advance, and is based on vendor’s forecast for merchandise delivery. In a perfect world everything will click into place. But we live in this world and errors are unavoidable. Due the Thanksgiving holiday we had two ad set changes this past week (a four day and a two day plus we closed the entire store on Thursday). This more than doubled the workload for those of us that do the ad preparation and tear down.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“At that point I concluded I was the victim of the dishonest baiting tactics”

You are a victim? Did you purchase the ‘switch’? Was one offered to you? Do you understand what...

Quote=”Anonymous”

“I've been reading about, so I immediately dropped the other merchandise I was going to purchase and left angry.”

If this is what makes you angry how do you cope with daily life?

Quote=”Anonymous”

“Just checked the weekly flyer feature on Target.com and now, poof, a window pops up that says "no additional information is available" when you click on this product.”

The internal and public databases supporting merchandise look up and tracking were severely overloaded this week. This is the first year AFAIK that target.com was linked to the store’s database. During my shifts on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we faced frequent errors and delays while trying to help guests locate items in the store or in local stores. It would have been better to turn off the newly installed target.com search feature and just help guests with in store look up (as we did last year). The TMs rely heavily on PDAs, LPDAs, and POS search tools to assist guests in finding items. This should not take ten minutes and require several reboots of the PDAs (or LPDAs) to get results. Most guests in the store for the door busters had a very short fuse and working with them required additional patience and a thick skin.

Quote=”Anonymous”

“Walks like a scam, talks like a scam......I used to like Target, not so much anymore.”

Oh, Boo Hoo! Please rethink your attitude! If you really wanted the item you could have requested a ‘rain check’ coupon that would freeze the sale price for more than thirty days, to mid January 2010.

1st time I have ever been in a Target.

Was there to buy a camarea.

Brot it home opened it and found it was USED after paying retail.Returned it later that day.Yep every one makes mistakes,but first impressions are a ***.

1st and last visit to target.