It's March now, and I just received a phone call from an Indian woman saying Target did not receive my payment this month. I sent it from the bank on February 27th, $30.00 for a $10.00 minimum payment, DUE on the 11th of March. 12 DAYS before the due date, 18 days have passed since the money cleared my account on the bank's end.

I called my bank to find out what happened. They put us on a 3 way call and the bank asked Target to *** the late fee since the check went out in plenty of time, and Target REFUSED. I told them they left me no choice but to end the account and never step foot in the store again. Target responded saying they will raise my interest rates.

My husband (as angry as me) just paid cash to pay off the account, minus the $30.00 that they still haven't posted yet. Because the amount is over $200.00 it could take up to 8-14 days for it to post-even though he paid CASH toward the bill. (they are holding up cash?) When I called to see if they credited my account, I found out (through the automatic system) the $30.00 check will be posted on March 21st! Have they had my check this entire time? Are they holding it to get the late fees?

Review about: Target Credit Card.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Yoga37

Envoy, Your experience is all too common these days.Several of my associates suffered the same incompetence from Target regarding Redcard account management and inefficient payment processing.

As for "May I Help You Find Something?" don't waste your time responding to that troll. They only appear interested in having the last word and make no mistake they have no intent to "help" you.

I pity them for going to a site like this for entertainment.Hope your next retail customer service experience is better than this one.

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009

”I doubt very much you have responsed to this post "to help me". The problem was solved, they were paid, I no longer purchase from their store and someone's post here isn't going to change my mind about returning.”

On that point we can agree. I doubt I could steer you from you current path. The majority of posters here are like reformed drunks – they desperately need to shout from the roof tops that they have abstained (from Target in this case).

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009

”What clearly tells me you are not understanding this case is this sentence:

”No. Reality. You need to see the bigger picture here, to understand that what you did was wrong (missing payment dates, incurring penalties, carrying a balance subject to interest).””

Well you could have quoted me in context…

Quote May I Help You Find Something?, on 23-04-2009

”Coming here to complain, as entertaining as it is for us, will not help your situation. Closing your RedCard account and boycotting the Target stores may affect you much more than anyone else involved. But, it is your right to do so, and you may post here too.”

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009

”Your wish to defend them, although they are fully aware of THEIR mistake is misguided.”

Not really, I’m more interested in defusing the rants that some (most) posters present. That’s were the chuckles are for...

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009

”Since I am the author of this post, it is only right that I respond to comments made about it.”

By now you may have noticed that this forum has very little traffic and even less discussion.

Grenville, South Dakota, United States #56554

What clearly tells me you are not understanding this case is this sentence:

I have made it very clear that Target received my payment(s) well before the Due Dates and issued late fees because of their posting outside of the 5 days in their own contract. There was never a "missed payment". Every month I had a balance on this card, I paid much more then requested and well before the Due Dates. Target admitted this mistake to me after a phone call and issued me a check which I received last week for the refund of late charges.

They were in the wrong, admitted it, and you are mistaken to continue to blame ME for their inefficient ways. But since you are here for entertainment purposes, it really doesn't matter what you think.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“But by all means, please read the following post as well to clear up your misunderstanding about my case.

Any misunderstanding is being cleared by the new facts presented here, and not on the merit of your first post.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

Are you assuming I called the STORE?

Nope. Stores do not outsource phone calls, nor do they deal with Redcard customers.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“In the first response, I wasn't clear enough”.

Agreed

A subtile insult.”

No. Reality. You need to see the bigger picture here, to understand that what you did was wrong (missing payment dates, incurring penalties, carrying a balance subject to interest). Coming here to complain, as entertaining as it is for us, will not help your situation. Closing your RedCard account and boycotting the Target stores may affect you much more than anyone else involved. But, it is your right to do so, and you may post here too.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“This is incorrect. You are assuming everything I purchase is with their RedCard”

You have not disclosed your RedCard statements, only limited information about your payment history.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“I had a balance on the card from a Christmas splurge, we ended up paying it off with cash after being hassled in...

Hassled? I must have missed that detail in your earlier missive.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“Target mentioned holding the payment up to 2-3 weeks before posting it. Of course, we asked them to rethink it since we were paying CASH. They did and posted 2 days later, but not without mentioning "everybody else" with such a large payment would have to wait 2-3 weeks.”

That is correct. Target RedCard holds large payments before posting. While this is unfair and self-defeating (card holders can use the card until payment is credited, thus depriving the store of further revenue from sales). However, you can appeal this decision and get it expedited (as you state that you did)

“Another insult.”

Not an insult. A fact.

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“But the Target in our town is not getting as many customers because word of mouth has caught up with them.” Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

Clearly…

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

In these times when every penny counts, no one can afford to be issued a $39.00 late fee because Target is slow posting their payment.”

So we now know that you owed at least $250.

From the RedCard Visa Terms and Conditions:

Late payment fee: $15 on balances of $99.99 or less

$29 on balances $100 or greater, but less than $249.99

$39 on balances of $250 or more, or if the account is subject to the Penalty APR (see explanation below*)

Quote Envoy 1, on 23-04-2009:

“I'm not the only one who has cautioned them, although I may be the only one from our town to come to this site and post it.

And I for one was glad that you did! So entertaining!

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009”

“Goodness, you do have a chip on your shoulder.”

So this is more about me that the help I’ve offered to you earlier?

I chose to help you; I waded through your wordy posting and tried to sort fact from irrelevant story. Some of your dates and important information was missing; I tried my guesses to further assist you. .

I see that you have posted two more lengthy responses, so bear with me while I read them thoroughly. In overview I’m wondering why you posted here? You clearly have violated the terms and conditions of your Redcard Visa, and you were required to read these when you signed the contract to get a credit card. .

Quote Envoy1, on 23-04-2009”

“As for being missed, I could care less, other stores value my business and handle their customer's money more efficiently. If this recession closes Target in our town, I can assure you, it won't be missed either.”

More interestingly, you have deflected your payment story to one of complaining about how the new Target store in your village is serving your community of 10k people. To put this in perspective, for every person in your village there are thirty team members working for Target. The magnitude of the Target company dwarfs anything your village may do to support you (such as boycott the new Target store). You have a choice, you can shop elsewhere. .

The Redcard Visa is operated by Visa, the other Redcard...

If the team member that spoke to you is incoherent due to a regional accent or ESL (English as a Second Language) you should ask to speak to that team member’s manager. You have the right to be heard and to understand the party trying to help you. This is the way business is conducted in the twenty-first century. You and I are powerless to change it.

Grenville, South Dakota, United States #56526

This is a second response to "Can I Help You Find Something", since I couldn't add a few things to the first response after I published it. But by all means, please read the following post as well to clear up your misunderstanding about my case.

YOU STATED:

"Hmm. The RedCard is a VISA product, I very much doubt you were dealing with Target and not the service bureau for the credit card company, anyway, did you ask for the associates name and ID? Did you then ask to speak to that person’s supervisor? You can’t expect the first person you speak to the have the authority to override your mistake"

Are you assuming I called the STORE? I called the financing company called "Target National Bank" in Minneapolis, MN as my statement indicated. And according to the RedCard contract I hold, it says only 5 days are required to post from the time they receive payments, not 10 as you suggested. And it wasn't my mistake, it was Targets since I was well within the 5 days from the due date.

YOU STATE:

You haven’t told us *when* you posted the February payments.

In the first response, I wasn't clear enough. On Feb. 2nd, my bank sent $25.00 electronically to my Target account. It was due on the 11th. Concerned it would be delayed as the January payment was, I walked into the store on the 7th and paid an additional $46.05, and it was posted that day. When I received my statement showing the two payments BOTH were posted on the 7th....

The payment due on March 11th was sent out from the bank again on Feb. 27th. The bank became involved because it had cleared my account on their end and they had sent it electronically- both of us expecting it to post within the 5 days Target expressed was necessary. (and it doesn't say "business days", although as a woman who has dealt with credit card companies for decades, I allow for business days and Holidays) Target admitted receiving the money on the 6th but not posting it to my name/account until the 21st. I was issued a late fee on the 11th, which had to be removed since they had the money on the 6th. (their admitted mistake)

YOU STATE:

You are being treated to the extent of the contract for your RedCard, nothing less.

This is incorrect. My account states 5 days. Not business days, but 5 days. (certainly not 10 days as you insist)

YOU STATE:

You will not be missed. You have not read or understood your end of the contract. You may withdraw your patronage from the stores, and you may be happier, and hopefully wiser, too!

A subtile insult. As I have stated, I do understand the contract (5 days), I have dealt with credit cards since 1982 never having a late or missed payment in that time.(except Target in January of this year) Wisdom about such tactics I have and this is why I'm posting a complaint. As for being happier, I am. I no longer dread that call from Target telling me I am late with a payment from someone whom I can't understand and the full knowledge they DO have the payment as my bank has never failed me, yet Target breaks it's contract by delaying posting and issuing late fees as result.

YOU STATE:

Let’s see, you have spent over three months about $100 with your RedCard.

This is incorrect. You are assuming everything I purchase is with their RedCard. I do not. Since the store was nearby, I used my debit card, or cash on hand for many pop-in purchases. Although I had a balance on the card from a Christmas splurge, we ended up paying it off with cash after being hassled in March. Since it was a sizable amount, Target mentioned holding the payment up to 2-3 weeks before posting it. Of course, we asked them to rethink it since we were paying CASH. They did and posted 2 days later, but not without mentioning "everybody else" with such a large payment would have to wait 2-3 weeks.

YOU STATED:

Really? You have that much clout?

Another insult. I do not believe I alone would make a difference. But the Target in our town is not getting as many customers because word of mouth has caught up with them. In these times when every penny counts, no one can afford to be issued a $39.00 late fee because Target is slow posting their payment. They instead drive a mile down the road and go to a Macy's or Penney's and avoid the headache. I'm not the only one who has cautioned them, although I may be the only one from our town to come to this site and post it.

Grenville, South Dakota, United States #56518

Goodness, you do have a chip on your shoulder.

I will answer your questions. The Feb. payment was sent on Feb. 2nd through the bank electronically, NOT as a check sent by mail.- Due the 11th. Plenty of time. All other bills from EVERYONE (I hold) are posted within 4 days from the time my bank ELECTRONICALLY sends it. If Target takes 10 business days, it's nothing to brag about. This qualifies them as the "slowest" of the bunch.

I mentioned the "Indian woman" for 2 reasons. I had a difficult time understanding her as English was not her primary language, and to point out she was calling not from our shores, but from India- she told me so. Maybe you don't care about out-sourcing, but many of us do.

Concerning the March payment, I talked to 4 people, including supervisors, not just one. Finally, Target admitted they RECEIVED my payment on the 6th of March and didn't post it until March 21st. How do you excuse that? They had my money in their hands and HELD it 15 days. (doesn't this pass your 10 day requirement?) This was a smaller $30.00 check. (the orginal one sent) They sent apologies and refunded the $39.00 late fee since it was OBVIOUSLY their mistake and admitted it on the phone. (This was one week ago) They then had to send me a refund check for that amount since I paid the account off in March with CASH.

As for who the card was with, it's labeled Target National Bank, so Target is the holder. (not Visa)

As for "my...

As for the amount of my credit card, it was certainly more then you guessed. But I always pay more and pay early. This has been the ONLY company in my 24 years of shopping history/spending money that has been a problem. I am very aware of different tactics used after weathering the early 80's recession.

There's a reason it's mostly empty 6 months after opening anyway.

Envoy1 wrote:

“This is the second time Target has used late fees to get more money from me. On January 2, I sent $50.00 for a $10.00 minimum payment DUE on the 8th, electronically through my bank. Target didn't post the money until January 10th and issued a $39.00 late fee. (steep!) This ate up the entire $50.00, and only dropped the amount by $7.00!”

So you learned the hard way that the stated RedCard payment policy is ten days to clear a payment, and not six!

Envoy1 wrote:

“February, concerned about the slow posting from the previous month, I sent two payments in. One ($25.00) from the bank again to see how long before this check would post, and then walked into the store and paid $46.05 because I didn't want to be caught with another $39.00 late fee. My statement showed BOTH checks were posted on the 7th. Target seemed to be better that month.”

You haven’t told us *when* you posted the February payments…

Envoy1 wrote:

“I just received a phone call from an Indian woman saying Target did not receive my payment this month.”

How is “Indian woman” relevant? Racist?

Envoy1 wrote:

“I sent it from the bank on February 27th, $30.00 for a $10.00 minimum payment, DUE on the 11th of March. 12 DAYS before the due date, 18 days have passed since the money cleared my account on the bank's end.”

But that’s not ten working days for the payment to clear, is it?

I...

Hmm. The RedCard is a VISA product, I very much doubt you were dealing with

You can’t expect the first person you speak to the have the authority to override your mistake.

Envoy1 wrote:

“I told them they left me no choice but to end the account and never step foot in the store again. Target responded saying they will raise my interest rates.”

Really? You have that much clout? Do you think withholding your commerce from Target is going to make a difference? Let’s see, you have spent over three months about $100 with your RedCard. Did you know that a typical Target store grosses about $100,000 each and every day?

Envoy1 wrote:

“My husband (as angry as me) just paid cash to pay off the account

…

I found out (through the automatic system) the $30.00 check will be posted on March 21st! Have they had my check this entire time? Are they holding it to get the late fees?”

Once again, the stated clearing time for a payment is ten business days. Not less.

Envoy1 wrote:

“I'm not asking for special treatment. I'm asking to be treated FAIRLY. I'm sending in more then they ask, with plenty of time to post it to my account. TARGET is holding the money up, issuing late fees and risking my good name and credit history.”

Envoy1 wrote:

“This company doesn't value it's customers. It treats them like dirt and collects extra money in questionable ways. BEWARE OF TARGET'S CREDIT CARD TACTICS. They will ruin you, and not feel responsible for it. They got their last penny from ME.”