Newark, New Jersey
1.2K views 16 comments

Watch your cashier very closely when checking out with sale items that are supposed to include a gift-card reward. I was buying cat food listed as "Buy 2, get $5 Gift Card". I picked up 4 boxes. Indeed, when I checked out the screen prompted the cashier to award me with two $5 cards. I then watched as she retrieved the cards (which are blank until authenticated), authenticated them, and then placed them directly back in her drawer without looking at me.

I didn't say anything at first because I wanted to see if she would give them to me with the receipt at the end of checkout. She did not. The receipt printed, she gave it to me and then turned to start checking out the next person in line. I said, "Are you going to give me my gift-cards? The ones I saw you scan"? She hesitated for a moment and then acted like it just slipped her mind -- and here it gets worse: she reaches back into the drawer and INSTEAD of giving me the cards she scanned and set aside, HANDS ME TWO BLANKS!

"These are not the ones you scanned" I said... and trying to save face, she scanned them as if she didn't know they were empty. They came up as $0. Then she continued with the charade by acting like something had gone wrong with the scanning procedure, telling me it wasn't working and hoping that I would go away. Instead we called a manager. He did get me the right cards in the end, but showed neither surprise nor concern when I pulled him aside to explain what I'd witnessed. His odd behavior and non-sensical response to the situation gave every indication that he was at best complicit, and at worst in on the scam.

Review about: Gift Card.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Target?

Submit review

Comments

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States #1288405
It's funny that this is being discust cause I was just let go because they claim I had stolen a $10 gift card from a guest and used it the same day. Well what actually happened was the guest purchased $1200 in products and prompted for a gift card but they had so much groceries that i put it to the side. In the end of the transaction I forgot to give it to the guest in their hands so I crab it with the intentions of giving it to a team lead but instead I was distracted. 35 minutes past and my day was done so my girlfriend comes to pick me up but not before she wants an hair iron. Mind you she has target gift cards of her own that where given to her by her employer. Long story short I also had some gift cards of my own to help with the purchase. 2 months pass now they claim to have video of me taking the gift card and walking away. Lol. My question is why did you wait 2 months about a *** $10 gift card that I had forgotten all together and used by mistake instead of giving it to management. 4 years and this is what I'm fired for. Lol I understand that their are many thief in retail but really 2 months .
YES,IT IS TRUE SCAM!!!I SPENT $100 ON TARGET.COM WHICH IT SHOULD WITH 3 $5 EACH GIFT CARD,BUT AFTER MY ITEM RECEIVED,THE GIFT CARDS DISAPPEARED!!!
I CALLED THEM,THEY PROMISE TO SEND ME AOTHER $15 GIFT CARDS INSTEAD,BUT 4 DAYS PASSED,NOTHING SHOWED IN MY BOX!!!
SO DISAPPOINTED!!!
Aaron
Today I visited target to take advantage of an advertised price stating "Free $50 gift" with a purchase of an xbox 360 console priced $299.99.

I pay the $299.99 & I get a $50 gift card.

However, I was only taxed on $249.99 & the remainder of my purchase ($50) accounted for the gift card. What?

Yes, I "paid" for the "free" gift card because it was embedded in the price. Even though the end cap signage, the in-store flyer, & the online advert all say the same thing -- "free %50 gift card".

The first thing I do tomorrow is contact the store's first manager (not the customer manager who implied I can't do mathematics) & after that contact, I'll get in touche with district, then regional.
KevinRichards
to Aaron Orange, California, United States #918727
You cannot do math, you still only paid $249 for an item that cost $299 but got the rest in gift card. They just simply subtracted $50 and put this on a gift card, have mommy or daddy explain this simple first grade math to you.
Annonymous
Seriously, you really reap what you sow. Better be careful in the future.
Thank you for your posting warning everyone about the treatment you received at Target. Hopefully, everyone will heed this message and take extra precaution when checking out.
It has been my unfortunate experience to be involved in a bait and switch with Target, and tried in vain to have the problem corrected at the customer service department and through their corporate offices. Hopefully, you contacted their corporate office and reached a more successful conclusion to your problem. If not, consider contacting the Attorney General of the state where the incident happened. Corruption at Target doesn't seem to limited to bait and switch considering your complaint. Thanks for letting the public know about your shopping trip. Forewarned is forearmed.
Miami-West Kendall
This is not a scam. Its the employee trying to steal! In fact, it happened to me today. I was at the West Kendall Target in Miami and I saw the cashier scan the gift card and put it back into his drawer. I then asked him "Am I not supposed to get a gift card?" and he says "no, it just credit's you the $5 but I can give you a gift card". I didn't call a manager, it will catch up to him eventually.
Wendy
OMG - This just happened to me in Miami. I bought something that was suppose to receive a $5 gift card and when I asked the cashier Anthony ( asked his name ) he acted surprised. Target in Dadeland Station. Agree with the poster that this is stealing. Cashier may not use it - but can always pass it to a friend or family member.
Sama
if it makes you feel better when they go to use that giftcard it will be tied to their employee number and it will flag AP and they WILL be fired for theft. See it happen every christmas season with the new cashiers. Next time this happens to you ask to speak to the LOD or AP.
Target Employee
It is not a Gift Card Scam. It is a theft. The cashier will then take the gift cards and use them for themselves. Management should have been more upset, but then this is how they are able to do this without blinking an eye. Hold your hand out for the card when they first reach into the drawer to retrieve the empty and immediately ask for it once it is scanned.