I was an avid Target fan for years. Not anymore!! My friend moved to a small town outside of our city. She no longer has quick access to Target which we thought was going to be "so hard". After this and other debacles, we will not have any more of it.

She asked if on my way out to her place, I could pick up a lamp that she had been wanting. Of course I would! Cute lamp, made by Targets own "Home" brand. It was 49.99.

I got to her house and she wrote me a check for the price of the lamp. We put it together and it looked great. She asked for the receipt and I grabbed it out of my purse and handed it to her. We then realized that the receipt was the wrong one. THey had given me someone else's receipt, but we didn't think anything of it because the lamp was great.

Two weeks later the power switch quit working.

She brought it into town a couple more weeks later. She attempted to take it back and either get a gift card or exchange it.

The lamps were not for sale anymore and they refused to give her a gift card.

I asked the lady behind the counter if they stood behind the merchandise they sold, she said yes. I asked if that was the case and this lamp quit working in a couple weeks, why I should not get my money back. She was apologetic and felt bad that I had to deal with this.

Target is ridiculous, if the lady behind the counter agreed with me, why was I not getting a gift card or another lamp????? The Target policies are ridiculous!!!! I and many others have had ENOUGH! We will not shop at Target anymore!

Review about: Target Deal.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Anonymous wrote:

“My friend moved to a small town outside of our city. She no longer has quick access to Target…

She asked for the receipt and I grabbed it out of my purse and handed it to her. We then realized that the receipt was the wrong one. THey had given me someone else's receipt, but we didn't think anything of it because the lamp was great.”

That is a problem. Although you didn’t cause it you should have taken action immediately to protect your rights for an exchange or return. Here’s the stated policy:

Target Stores Return & Refund Policy

A receipt dated within 90 days is required for all returns and exchanges.

All returns and exchanges must be new, unused, and contain all original packaging and accessories. A form of personal identification may be required.

Anonymous wrote:

“Two weeks later the power switch quit working.

The lamps were not for sale anymore and they refused to give her a gift card.

I took the lamp from her and attempted again with my credit card as proof of purchase. The purchase did not come up on my card. I didn't remember what I paid with, it could have been cash or a gift card.”

Had you done...

Anonymous wrote:

“I asked the lady behind the counter if they stood behind the merchandise they sold, she said yes. I asked if that was the case and this lamp quit working in a couple weeks, why I should not get my money back…

She gave me a number to call which I am not sure why because they told me the same thing!!!”

You did not do your job as a Target guest. When you found a mistake (wrong receipt) you failed to correct it.

Anonymous wrote:

“Target is ridiculous…The Target policies are ridiculous!!!! I and many others have had ENOUGH! We will not shop at Target anymore!”

Target is successful in a very tough business with razor thin margins, made worse by a weak and unstable economy. Handing out refunds without proper proof of purchase makes no sense, and compared to other big-box retailers, Target offers a very generous return policy! You can take your business elsewhere, and hopefully you have learned a lesson from your sloppy shopping experience.