I purchased a gift card to send as a birthday present to my daughter in law.It was for $200 plus a $6 activation fee.

When I called to say Happy Birthday, it was clear the birthday card had arrived but the gift card inside had been taken out. I called the 800 number on the back of the hang tag (I had made a copy before sending it) and, after a lengthy process, realized that Target does NOTHING about stolen cards. I had to endure a lecture by a customer service representative about how I am to protect cards from theft to which I responded that Target did not make it at all clear that there was NO RECOURSE if the card was stolen. I would not have purchased it if I had known that or Target had made it clear.

I don't see the point in having the cards at all -- they cost $6 to activate, provide no security and you have to endure a sanctimonious lecture. Why not send a check or cash instead? Cash can be stolen without recourse but so can the Target card. Not only am I convinced that Target Gift Cards are a scam but I will limit shopping at Target in the future due to a corporate culture that sanctions BAD DEALS for consumers.

I thought they were a good company despite their past history of credit card breaches.

Now I'm thinking it relates to a sloppy culture with an intent to scam consumers.I'm filing a disputed transaction form at Target nonetheless and will probably waste much more than $200 of my time dealing with this mess.

Review about: Target Shipping Service.

Reason of review: No recourse when card was stolen.

I didn't like: Lack of recourse if gift card is stolen.

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

This sounds screwy to me.Did you purchase in-store and send it via the postal service?

If so, yeah you're up a creek without a paddle and should be taking it up with the postal service. If you tried sending it online from Target.com and never arrived from the distribution center, I could see having a legitimate gripe. In addition, it sounds like you purchased one of those 200 dollar Visa or Mastercards as THOSE have activation fees.

If so, Target only sells those for those companies.It's Visa/Mastercard/American Express you'd have to call.

to Anonymous #1382008

Again, Anonymous, given your name and snarky attitude, I think you have been hired to clean up unfavorable web postings by customers of Target.I understand it's a really good business and one you can do anywhere but I think it misleads most consumers who don't understand the trolling that goes on to maintain favorable ratings and scrub out the bad ones.

Target has created an enemy in me and I will not shop there again.They beat me on this one but I'm not a very forgiving person.

to mseibert #1382156

"I think you have been hired to clean up unfavorable web postings by customers of Target." Woaaaah nooooes.An anon dared to disagree with me?

They must be a corporate shill workin' to keep da man down!!! How about you slow down there and take off your tinfoil hat, Dale Gribble. It could be that ninety percent of people who read your little wall of text are just tired of *** who post on here with problems a two second google search can solve. For example:

What should I do if my Target Visa, Mastercard, or American Express Gift Card is lost or stolen?

If you believe your Target® Visa®, Mastercard®, or American Express® Gift Card has been lost or stolen, you need to notify Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.

You'll be asked to provide the card number and other identifying information. If you don't have the card number, an original receipt showing the purchase of the card should suffice.

If records show a value still remains on the card, American Express, Mastercard, or Visa can cancel the lost or stolen card and refund the available value to you in the form of another Target Visa, Mastercard, or American Express gift card.There's no fee for replacing a lost or stolen card.

Which I believe I told you the first time.

In addition, assuming Target is using you to clean up bad reviews, I will go out of my way to avoid Target.Due to their deception on their silly gift cards, I will no longer shop there.

I generally spend several thousand dollars a year at Target and my purchases will stop.I will encourage all family members to stop as well.

Gift cards are just like cash. If you had put 2 $100 bills in the card, who would you expect to replace them? It's not Target's fault the cards weren't there.

to Anonymous #1379712

Target does not make that clear on their packaging or disclosures.It would have been better to just send a check and avoid the card fee.

I suspect you are one of the people out there trying to clean up bad reviews and neutralize them, hence the Anonymous.

Most people are on to that game.Pissed Consumer should check out how many of these you write in a month.

aliens_amoung_us

That stinks. I'd never send a gift card through the mail, for this exact reason. You can't trust the mail, and have no recourse as companies get ripped off all the time and don't trust anyone, and we don't trust them.