Brookport, Illinois

I wrote a check at Target for 101.33. The check was denied.

I knew that there was approx. 5K in my account so I was really appalled. There were 6 people in line behind me so you can imagine how embarassed I was. I then drove directly to my credit union, which was directly across the street.

They checked my balance on my account. It was 5,500.23. So I went home and called CENTERGY only to get a meesage saying that they would not accept my check. I then called the local Target and spoke to the manager.

She gave me a consumer satisfaction number to call. I called only to get a person that had such a heavy accent that I could not understand her. I asked to speak to someone else and she transferred my call and was promptly hung up on. At this point I was so frustrated I called back and spoke to a person that recorded my complaint and said he would pass it along.

Target does not a have a sign to my knowledge stating that they don't accept checks. If I was another race and had the time I would so take Target to court because surely this is discrimination. I have done business with Target since they opened the doors in this town. I wish I had a dollar amount to give you an idea how much money I have spent in Target over the years.

You would probably be amazed. I was buying items for my son to take to college. He is leaving tomorrow so I don't have the time to spend dealing with *** like this.

Target you really dropped the ball. I just got back from Wal-Mart...no issues there.

Product or Service Mentioned: Target Manager.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jan 11, 2012.

Comments

Indian Wells, California, United States #950004

Same thing happened to me today!! Forget Target! Our Family will start shopping at wall mart from now on !!!!

In regards to Target not taking a check. The same thing happeded to me this past Saturday.

Because of an Identity Theft problem, I had to cancel my debt card. (I had over $8,000.00 in the bank) The cashier told me AFTER putting my check thru Tele-Check that they could not except my check. She rushed me thru without telling me why. Their were other people in line behind me so needless to say I was quit embarassed also.

I called my bank to see if there was a problem, and was told that it was Targets deal. My bank also told me that the cashier should have given me an 800 number to call. Well she didn't. I was treated like a criminal trying to pass a bad check.

After looking at my check a little closer, I saw what appear to be an 800# printed backwards. I called that number and was told that Tele-Check approved it but that Target would not accept it because I didn't have a check writting history with them. Of course not, I always use a debt card. Why didn't Target tell me this as I was writing the check?

Bad customer Service!! I went across the street to Wal-Mart and they had no problem with me writing a check for $480.00.

Thank you Wal-Mart. I will NOT do business with Target again!!

Thank you Wal-Mart. I will NOT do business with Target again!!

You could have walked over to the ATM and withdrawn the cash. Too bad it wasn't in your account.

You're a pissed consumer because Target wouldn't take your bad check?

You were trying to steal from them, I bet they were a pissed retailer! :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin

I can\'t believe you would play the race card on this. You just want someone to blame it on.

The check machine doesn\'t know what race you are. Maybe you should get a debit card ..who uses checks anymore anyway!!??

lol if you were another race... please you are the one that is making it out to be racist!!!

Way to place the race card. They didn't accept your check, because your broke and even the bank won't give you a debit card. lol.

they do get declined sometimes, especially if you're writing a check for a large amount and you don't use checks there very often. (just get a debit card!! why is this such a hard concept for people?)

"If I was another race and had the time I would so take Target to court because surely this is discrimination"

Play the race card and nevermind the fact that a check authorization machine doesn't know what race you are. You make me sick claiming discrimination. You should be ashamed of yourself.