Ease of Use
Layout of Store

On Wednesday August 24, 2016, I went to Target in West Boca Raton Florida around 11:30 am to purchase a few items for my employer with the company’s credit card. I was dressed in a medical uniform that I've worn for the past 20 years. I have always shopped at this store to purchase gift cards, groceries, etc with my company’s credit card. I picked up my groceries, office supplies and 3 gift cards ($100/ $50/ $25) and headed to check out to purchase these items. Lenora was the cashier, who has seen me on numerous occasions and has checked me out several times. For some particular reason on this day she decided to ask me for an ID. She never asked to see the credit card I was holding in my hand nor was I given a chance to swipe the card. I did inform her that my ID does not match the name on the credit card since it was my company's credit card. I have used the same credit card to shop at this store on numerous occasions for the past 15 years. I have never had a problem in the past. She looked at me as if I were some type of criminal coming into Target to purchase items and gift cards with a stolen credit card. She proceeded to say "I can't sell you these items" and without any explanation sent me to the service desk. As I'm standing there in dismay I also became confused since there were two caucasian women who had just made large purchases with their credit cards and they were never asked for their ID. Being a women of mixed decent that is Caucasian and Black American, I began to feel as if I were being profiled by the color of my skin.

Feeling embarrassed and humiliated, I continued to the service desk. As I was approaching the service desk I could tell this was not going to be a pleasant conversation by the look that the girl behind the desk had on her face. It was clear that she did not want to hear a word I had to say. It appeared that in some way Lenora had already made her aware of the situation. Once at the desk, I was immediately asked by Courtney "do you have an ID and does it match the name on the card?" I replied "I do have ID however the name on the card is my company's credit card that I have used in your store to purchase items for the past 15 years and have never had a problem before. " Courtney replied in a very rude and disrespectful tone "I can't sell you these items" and sent me on my way with no explanation as to why I could not purchase these items. Courtney never even looked to see whose name was on the card. Words cannot describe the way I continued to feel as I walked out of the store. The lack of courtesy she displayed left me feeling as if Target has a huge problem with the way they handle their customers.

I was so upset that I had to call my office manager before I could even get back to the office which was just across the street from Target. My office manager was in disbelief and was trying to come to some type of understanding why I was treated with such disrespect by the employees at Target. She is well aware of how much money we have spent at this store with the company's card for many years. When I arrived back to the office my office manager decided that we should go back to Target to find out why I could not purchase my items. We went directly to the service desk to speak with Courtney. My office manager politely asked Courtney" what was the reason for not allowing me to purchase my items." She replied "it’s company policy to ID every guest when purchasing gift cards" My office manager asked "when did this policy come into effect?" Courtney responded "this policy has been in effect for a while now." My office manager informed her that she was here in December 2015 and had purchased over $600 in gifts cards and I was never asked to show her ID. " She did not know the exact date for this unknown policy." Courtney then apologized to me because she failed to explain why I could not purchase my items nor did she make me aware of this so called store policy.

I am not racist nor is my office manager who is a Caucasian women but we both felt I was being treated differently because of the color of my skin.

After leaving the store I decided to call the corporate office to make them aware of the manner in which their Target guests were being treated. I explained my situation to Stacey the customer services representative and was told I would be receiving a call back within 48 hours. On Friday August 26 @ 7:50 am, I decided to give the corporate office a follow call where I then found out that my case was referred to the specialist department and was advised to call back between 8 am and 7 pm. I called back @ 11 am because I did not want this to get swept under the carpet. I spoke to Beth in the Specialist department and explained that I felt as if I was being treated like a criminal because of the color of my skin. It's sad to think there are narrow minded employees at the West Boca Raton location. She was very apologetic and promised I would receive a call back from the store manager. Around 3 pm I received a call from the store manager name Gonzalo who was also very apologetic for how I was treated at his store. GONZALO MADE ME AWARE THERE IS NO SUCH POLICY IN EFFECT IN HIS STORE NOR IN ANY OTHER TARGET STORES THAT STATES A GUEST SHOULD BE ASKED TO SHOW ID WHEN PURCHASING A GIFT CARD WITH A CREDIT CARD. I advised him that he should educate his staff on the store policies and teach them that all guest should be treated the same respect regardless of the color of their skin. He offered me a gift card, which I refused. No offering can fix the way I was disrespected, humiliated, embarrassed and harassed by the small minded employees at that store. I am considering hiring an attorney because this kind of behavior to store guests is unacceptable and should not be tolerated nor ignored! If you are a person of color please take your business elsewhere. Stay away from this Target store or any other Target who mistreat beautiful Black Americans.

The address to this store is 21637 State Rd 7, Boca Raton, FL 33428.

sweetness3579 wrote the review because of poor customer service at Target. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Target to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Target and target cashier for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

I have never been asked for I.D. when using a credit card, unless I have written on back "Please ask for I.D.". I have to agree though, I too am tired of people playing the race card when they don't get their way.

Walmartguy
Springdale, Arkansas, United States #1210566

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton approves of this racist message. Call Black Lives Matter.

Growup
Florida, United States #1209996

I am sick and tired of blacks playing the race card because they have to follow the same rules as the rest of us. Either follow the rules that is set for everyone or go back to your own country.

unfairhiringprastices
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States #1208396

This is not racial profiling, and you are the one that is racist against white people. If this person were non white you would have no issue with them following policy, and the fact that you later deleted your post after admitting that Gonzalo said it was policy shows how dishonest you are.

h.kitchener
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1205285

Sounds like you have a rather large chip on your shoulder(s). Perhaps you aren't aware of the huge crime problem with people using credit cards which are not theirs, ie., stolen.

You may or may not have been "profiled" but so what? It happens and some people look suspicious, thus they are "profiled." Get over it.

First Born Triplet
to h.kitchener Ontario, Canada #1206387

Sorry I meant to quote the OP and laugh at her. But I forgot to add add the comment.