On Wednesday August 24, 2016 I went to Target In West Boca Raton Florida around 11:30 am to purchase a few items for my job with the companies credit card dressed in my medical uniform that I've worn for the past 20 years of my life. Let me make you aware that I've always shop at this store to purchase gift cards, groceries etc with my companies business credit card. I picked up my groceries, office supplies and 3 gifts ($100/ $50/ $25) and headed to check out to purchase these items. Lenora the cashier who has seen my face on numerous occasions has checked me out on her register decided on this particular day to ask me for an ID. She never once took a look at the credit card I was holding in my hand nor I was given a chance to swipe the card. I told her my ID does not match the name on this credit card because this is my companies card that I have used to shop at this store on numerous occasions for the past 15 years and I've never had a problem shopping in this store with this card. She looked at me like I was some type of criminal coming into Target to purchase items and gift cards with a stole credit card. Then she said to me "I can't sell you these items" and sent me to the service desk. Now I'm standing in this line confused because there were 2 white women who was in line before me who made large purchase with their credit cards and was never asked for their ID. I'm not a racist!!! I'm a black woman BUT just so you know I'm also mixed. I'm Caucasian and Black American. I'm pretty much just a beautiful fair skin young woman.

Now I'm on my way to the customer service feeling embarrassed and humiliated where I ran into this so called front in manager name Courtney. I knew this was going to be a very unpleasant conversation because she had a look on her face letting me know she didn't want to hear not a word I had to say. I guess some kind of way Lenora had already made Courtney aware of my situation. So as I approached the customer service desk she asked me "do you have an ID and do it match the name on the card?" I replied yes "I have an ID but this is my companies credit card that I've used in your store to purchase items for over 15 years and I've never had a problem." Courtney said to me in a very rude and disrespectful tone "I can't sell you these items" and sent me on my way with no explanation to why I couldn't purchase my items. Just so you know Courtney never took a look to see whose name was on the card as well. I walked out of the store feeling embarrassed, humiliated, disrespected and harassed. Words can not describe how I felt. I didn't come to Target with a problem but man did I leave with a huge problem.

Now I'm upset, so I called my office manager and told her what had happened. I headed back to work which is literally across the street from this Target store. My office manager was in disbelief and was trying to come to some type of understanding why I was treated with such disrespect by the employees at Target. She is well aware of how much money we have spent at this location with the companies card for many years. When I arrived back to work my office manager decided that we should head back over to Target to find out why I couldn't purchase my items. We went back to the store where Courtney was still working at Customer service desk. My office manager asked Courtney" what was the reason for not allowing me to purchase my items." She replied "its company policy to ID every guest when purchasing gift cards!" My office replied "that not true and when did this policy come into effect because I was here in December 2015 and I purchased $600 in gifts cards and I wasn't asked to show an ID." (FYI my office manager is Caucasian) Courtney responded "this policy came into effect awhile ago." She didn't know the exact date for this unknown policy. Courtney then apologized to me because she failed to explain why I couldn't purchase my items nor did she make me aware of this so called store policy. Bottom line I was harassed by these women because of the color of my skin.

After leaving the store I decided to call the corporate office to make them aware of this situation because Target guest should not be treated in this manner. I explained my situation to Stacey the customer services representative and was told I would be receiving a call back within 48 hours. On Friday August 26 @ 7:50 am, I decided to give the corporate office a follow call where I found out my case was referred to the specialist department and to call back between 8 am and 7 pm. I decided to call back @ 11 am because I refuse to let this get swept under the carpet. I spoke to Beth in the Specialist Department and explained how I was treated like a criminal because of the color of my skin by the narrow minded employees at the West Boca Raton location. She was very apologetic and promised I would receive a call back from the store manager. Around 3 pm I received a call from the store manager name Gonzalo who was also very apologetic for how I was treated at his store. GONZALO MADE ME AWARE THERE IS NO SUCH POLICY IN EFFECT IN HIS STORE NOR IN ANY OTHER TARGET STORES THAT STATES A GUEST SHOULD BE ASKED TO SHOW ID WHEN PURCHASING A GIFT CARD WITH A CREDIT CARD. I told him he need to educate his staff on the store policies and teach them that all guest should be treated the same no matter the color of their skin. He offered me a gift card which I refused because I will never forget how I was disrespected, humiliated, embarrassed and harassed by those small minded employees at that store. No offering can fix this. I'm really thinking about hiring an attorney because this kind of behavior to store guest is unacceptable and should not be tolerated nor ignored! If you are people of color please take your business elsewhere. Stay away from this Target store or any other Target who mistreat beautiful Black Americans. Address to this store is 21637 State Florida 7, Boca Raton, FL 33428.

Product or Service Mentioned: Target Cashier.

I didn't like: Poor customer service.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Aug 28, 2016.

Comments

Yuba City, California, United States #1205060

I'm am getting SO tired of people playing the race card or the gender card, or the whatever card when things don't go their way!. (Entitlement anyone?!)

Westminster, California, United States #1204979

I WISH they routinely asked for ID. My credit card has been stolen and used by someone who did not have my ID.

It's expected that your ID matches the name on your credit card. Why are you outraged that they checked? They SHOULD have been checking every time you used that credit card.

I always thank the clerk when they ask for my ID. I'm white, btw, and sometimes they ask for ID, sometimes they don't.

unfairhiringprastices
to Anonymous Waltham, Massachusetts, United States #1207791

I don't think that the OP would have an issue if the cashier was black like her. The OP claimed she is not racist, but she is, by assuming that the cashier is racist because the cashier is white and she is black. She needs to go back to Africa with the other monkeys.