I took it to my local Target on Cosumnes River Rd in Sacramento, Ca this afternoon expecting it to be a straightforward transaction. I explained to the associate the item was recalled and I was instructed to bring it to the store for a full refund. She had no idea what items had recently been recalled and my husband eventually had to bring the list of recalled items on his phone to show her. She then said we would only get $19.98 back for a trunk we had paid $55.98 for a few months prior.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who called a customer service line for associates, and was told she could only give me $33.13 back and there was nothing else she could do, even though she was the manager. This entire process took over 1 hour and was NEVER resolved. I am not going to accept less than what I paid for the trunk since it is a defective item.

I find it hard to believe that the manager was unable to resolve this situation and do what is right for the customer. I am beyond disappointed and frustrated with Target's customer service, and question whether I will continue to shop at Target in the future.

Comments

Bottom line is that Target employees do not like Target customers. And Target management thinks that squeezing their customers on small stuff is the way to run a business.

what is this customer base that corners the market on manners? be careful what you say.

Quote=”Michael”

“I hate shopping at Target, everybody is so rude there these days!”

You might feel better at a Walmart – they have a different customer base. Rudeness is a societal problem not confined to one retail store chain.

Why are you commenting here anyway? We get that you’re not a fan of Target, are you trying to spread your opinion? Perhaps you’re just looking for endorsement of your choice.

I hate shopping at Target, everybody is so rude there these days!

Quote=”Jkt “

“I recently received an automated phone call from Target to let me know a wicker trunk I purchased with my Red Card had been recalled due to strangulation risks. The phone message instructed me to take the trunk back to any Target store for a full refund.”

Did the phone message give you specific instructions (bring your receipt, for example)?

Was there a contact phone number or a reference number in the message (or both)?

Quote=”Jkt “

“I explained to the associate the item was recalled and I was instructed to bring it to the store for a full refund. She had no idea what items had recently been recalled and my husband eventually had to bring the list of recalled items on his phone to show her.”

That is unfortunate, but not atypical. The recall message didn’t originate at the store you visited, and it is possible that the store did not receive notification of the program, or this same information had not been passed to the Team Members trying to help you.

Quote=”Jkt “

“She then said we would only get $19.98 back for a trunk we had paid $55.98 for a few months prior.”

How was this amount determined? Did you present your original receipt to the TM helping you with the exchange?

Quote=”Jkt “

“I asked to speak to a supervisor who called a customer service line for associates, and was told she could only give me $33.13 back and there was nothing else she could do, even though she was the manager.”

She was the manager of what exactly? Did you ask for her name and role within the store? The TM at Guest Services most likely called the GSTL (Guest Services Team Lead), which you would know by asking. That person did assist you by following up with the corporate help line, according to your OP. If you were not satisfied with this answer did you ask to speak to the store manager (known as LOD – Leader On Duty) who is the highest authority in the store?

Quote=”Jkt “

“This entire process took over 1 hour and was NEVER resolved.”

So where are you now? Do you still have the recalled item? Do you also have the original purchase receipt, or a gift receipt? If you made the original purchase did you use a credit or RED card (that can be traced if you don’t have the original receipt or a gift receipt)?

Quote=”Jkt “

“I am not going to accept less than what I paid for the trunk since it is a defective item.”

The item is not defective, it is recalled. You have the option to return it for a refund. You will only qualify for a full refund if you can meet the requirements of proof of purchase.

You have the option to not accept it, but it’s not clear what alternative options you will have once you take that position. Apart from posting your OP on this forum, have you contacted Target customer service at 1.800.440.0680?

Quote=”Jkt “

“I find it hard to believe that the manager was unable to resolve this situation and do what is right for the customer.”

I find it hard to believe that you are stalled on a simple task such as a recall.

Quote=”Jkt “

I am beyond disappointed and frustrated with Target's customer service, and question whether I will continue to shop at Target in the future.”

Well, that’s question is easy. Ban yourself from Target! Shop elsewhere. Keep it up and you’ll run out of quality resellers that offer great products, outstanding service, and the convenience of on-line or a local store for your shopping convenience!