I went in to a Target store in Duarte, CA, looking for a particular item that I saw on the store's web site. I found it no where on the shelves, and decided to ask an employee for help. After I explained to the employee what I was looking for, she, who looked very confused and puzzled, yelled out to another employee about 10 feet away from us something in Spanish. I wasn't sure whether the first employee understood what I was telling her as she never spoke a word to me. She simply turned to the second employee as soon as I finished and they proceeded to have a discussion in Spanish (a language I do not understand). From what I gathered by their tone, they were not sure what the answer to my question was. Then a third employee walked by, and the two motioned for her to come join us. They pointed at me, as though to indicate that I have a question. I asked the third employee if she speaks English, and she answered that she does. I was relieved to finally come across an employee there who understands English. I explained to her what I was looking for, and she pointed me in the right direction.

I came home that day somewhat upset at my experience. So I wrote an email to the email address I found on Target's web site, explaining in detail what happened. The following day, I received a response from someone named Dylan from Guest Relations. He wrote a few short lines in a cold and insincere tone, thanking me for taking the time to write, but never apologizing for what happened. He wrote, "the team members we employ nationwide represent the diversity of the country and communities where our stores are located." Yes, Duarte is a predominantly Hispanic community in southern California. Does that mean I should be subjected to this sort of customer service? I wrote back to the guy telling him I shall never set a foot in another Target store again. He responded, "I'm sorry we aren't able to assist [you] further."

This sort of an attitude from the Guest Relations department of a superstore, is just downright disgusting, and I would have expected better from Target. Such a shame.

Comments

sdallas
#190106

Like it or not, the United States of America DOES NOT have a national language. Most people speak English, but it is not a requirement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this. Just stating the facts.

#190103

I do not think anyone should hire a person, no matter what their race, if they are not able to speak the language of the country they are working in. Give me a break.

How can they help someone if they don't even know what they are needing?

PERIOD! END OF STORY!

Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States #153207

Quote="Cathy"

"Well "troll" isn't a name either. You are both acting like children. You both cannot admit you are wrong. You both think you are right."

Yes it is ***, and *** isn't name calling either it is a state of being.

Quote="Wow"

"May I help you find something works at Target. He seems to think he knows everything. I have to agree with Cathy, there is no difference between calling someone a troll and calling someone a Bigot. Though starlife is a bigot. May I help you find something is clearly in the wrong as well. I wonder if Target trained him to be like this. I would not want to be a customer in his Target."

You did not read my comment, bigot is a state of being not name callling.

Okay you guys are all in junior high, so you don't know anything. I am an adult so I am right and all you idiots are wrong. Okay. You are all wrong Bigot is not name calling(unless you happen to be of French decent)it's a state of being, but troll is name calling. *** is not name calling either it is a state of being and starlife, Cathy, Irish, Wow, you are all idiots.

Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States #153205

The problem here is "May I help you find something" if you are calling something you don't consider it name calling, but dare someone else call you a troll it is name calling.

Now to stay on topic.

not only target but many stores are lacking in customers service. They hire just about anyone and dont train them well.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #153172

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #153171

Well "troll" isn't a name either. You are both acting like children.

You both cannot admit you are wrong. You both think you are right.

Quote=”Cathy”

“May I help you find something. calling someone a "troll" is not name calling as much as calling someone bigot isn't name calling.”

Welcome to the discussion.

Bigot isn’t a name (unless you happen to be of French decent), it’s a state of being. ‘Troll’ is clearly a name calling, but it doesn’t remotely match my prior postings to this forum.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #153066

Let's face it both of you are calling names. Starlife called May I help you find something a troll, and May I help you find something called Starlife a bigot.

Honestly starlife, if you are going to make comments with steryotypes people will call you bigot on it and May I help you find something. calling someone a "troll" is not name calling as much as calling someone bigot isn't name calling.

Quote=”starlife”

“So you are resulting to name calling as well. You called me a bigot.”

Nope. Unless by some strange coincidence you family roots are French, and you family surname is ‘Bigot’. Do you know what a bigot is (in contemporary terms)?

Quote=”starlife”

“BTW, you are the troll.”

Not by the definition that I posted earlier.

Quote=”starlife”

“You go to every Target letter defending the company just for attention, or bashing the company, completely doing the exact opposite of the respond they want.”

Well, at least you read my posts! You’re correct, I do respond to posts (don’t recall any ‘letters’) about my employer and I don’t always agree with the company or the OP. In fact, a lot of the time I think the OP is completely wrong. However, I don’t resort to name calling, but I do speak clearly and from first hand experience. For many this would be received as insults. I am hopeful that if the OP bothers to read it they will reconsider their position, and who knows, perhaps have a little more empathy for the TMs that work in Target. Anyone else, including you and the other frequent poster that answers everything with an insult about age, are welcome to post counter point and we can discuss it rationally (and hopefully without further insults).

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #152875

So you are resulting to name calling as well. You called me a bigot.

BTW, you are the troll. You go to every Target letter defending the company just for attention, or bashing the company, completely doing the exact opposite of the respond they want.

Quote=”starlife”

“This is America, these people need to learn English or go back to their original country.”

What an incredible lack of understanding. You are a bigot!

Quote=”starlife”

“Sick and tired of Hispanics taking over our country, commiting (sic) crimes and not speaking English.”

What exactly do you want? And what are you doing proactively to get it?

Quote=”starlife”

“May I help you find something you are a target troll.”

According to Wikipedia: “In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, […] with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.” Your comments fit that description much closer than mine!

Quote=”starlife”

“May I help you find something you are a target troll.”

Looks like we’ve reached the point where you’re reduced to name calling. Is that the best you’ve got?

Quote=”Irish”

“Actually the one that needs to grow up is "May I help you find something." Honestly why does Target hire idiots like you.”

Good question, perhaps you should ask the ETL-SL where I worked? I would think Target (or any company with employees) would simply hire the best they can find within the budget they have set. Do you know something different?

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #152713

May I help you find something you are a target troll.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #152711

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #152708

Shut up *** my topic makes perfect sense. Not my fault your IQ is so low that you don't understand what I am saying.

This is America, these people need to learn English or go back to their original country. Sick and tired of Hispanics taking over our country, commiting crimes and not speaking English.

everyone just needs a hot dog with mayonnaise on there nipples

Quote=”Irish”

“Honestly you think your issue is more important. They were probably trying to help her and (a)sking work related questions in Spanish.

Honestly you act ten everywhere you post.”

Honestly Irish, you are very quick to throw stones at others that post here. This forum is open to all opinions, even yours. Honesty, you act like you’re (insert a low number here) every time you post.

Honestly, you are so quick to assign (insert low number here) age insults to everyone! Try posting rational insult free comments; it’s time to grow up!

Quote=”starlife”

“I don't really think that the problem lies in these two employees only speaking Spanish so much as it lies in the fact that they were rude.”

That’s a big leap! We weren’t there to witness the OP’s exchange with the TMs. A seasoned TM would probably identify the OP as a “difficult guest”. If it were me I’d have jumped on the walkie and got the LOD over to sort it out.

Quote=”starlife”

“They know that they don't speak the language and when approached by an English speaking customer it is their responsibility as employees, regardless of what language they speak, to appropriately assist the customer.”

How can one do that if there is a language barrier? Your advice makes no sense!

Quote=”starlife”

“In this situation the appropriate action would have been to find an English speaking employee and have them help the customer.”

Agreed!

Quote=”starlife”

“It doesn't matter who you are, where you from, or what languages you speak, it is inappropriate to carry on a conversation in a different language, or the same language, when you should be resolving the customer's issue.”

But as a practical matter that won’t happen. I’m sure if you only speak English, and you’re with another English only speaker, the two of you would exchange English when approached by a non-English speaker. Even if you were trying hard to help the non English speaker!

The OP must have been under a rock to not understand the fundamental changes taking place right before her or his eyes over the past decade or so. To come here to complain suggests there is more to this story. Not mention their attitude to the TMs.