Hi there. I've been working for Target (on the sales floor) for about 5 weeks now and wanted to share a painful truth I feel it's important for people to understand--not just about Target but about any other huge retail corporation. I've had a number of low-level retail jobs in SMALLER stores and smaller companies; never at a store like this which has a total of 300 employees.

Target, like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sears, JCPenney and the like, relies above ALL ELSE on quantity. The store I'm at seems to pull down *roughly* $185,000 a day on average, and if we assume each customer spends an average of $125 this means the store sees at least 1,500 or so paying customers every day--a figure which likely comes close to doubling on the weekends.

There's just no polite or delicate way to say what I'm about to say, so here it goes. Generally speaking: individuals, be they shoppers or employees, really don't matter. What matters is the bottom line. If for example this post was somehow traced back to me by headquarters, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to be fired immediately and without explanation (they might give me 30 seconds) -- because, although my superiors at the store are generally nice and supportive people, I have no allusions about my value as an employee in the grand scheme of things despite the fact that I consider myself a diligent worker. The store has a "Now Hiring" sign out year-round.

Similarly, megacorporations laugh at the rare shopper who becomes frustrated and declares that they will never shop there again. The harsh truth is that they will be just fine without ever seeing that person again. ~Now this isn't to discount the fact that there are a lot of good-intentioned people working WITHIN Megacorp, trying their best to please people and do a good job, because there are. (9 out of 10 times I am one of those people; the rest of the time I'm overloaded with time-sensitive tasks and have to disobey our marching orders to ask every single person, in these exact words: "Can I help you find something?")

Anyways, I'm glad most of the complaints I've seen on this site are pretty reasonable and directed at the company as opposed to the employees, (though of course employees sometimes deserve it.) I'm positive I've come across as hopelessly inept on the sales floor more than once, but all I can do is my best under the circumstances. If you're patient enough to have read this far then you probably appreciate it when you can see an employee genuinely trying to help you--even if in the end you don't get the result you were hoping for.

Final thought: Personalization is a source of a tremendous amount of unnecessary and avoidable conflict. We all take or make things personal which aren't from time to time.

Comments

Lemont Furnace, Pennsylvania, United States #16501

I've been working for Target for just a few months longer than you, and I am the first to admit that there are days when the facts you have presented depress the heck out of me, because in general, they are true. Ours is such a thankless job, my friend, and it sucks; no one ever seems to care when we're helpful, but everyone will complain if we have one off day.

And yes, we're expendable: the "Now Hiring!" sign is a constant feature at my store as well. It's unfortuate, but I guess it sort of comes with the territories when you work for a major corporation. Best bit of advice I can give you is to try not to think too much about it; the only think that will lead to is further frustration/depression, and if you need your job like I do, feelings like those just make it harder to go to work. Focus instead on learning as many work-related skills as possible and building up networks with people who have the potential to help you out later in life.

That way, you will not feel as though the corporation is using you so much as YOU are using the CORPORATION.

And for all the people who never take the time to say it: thank you for all of the hard work you do every day. :)

fleenora