3.8
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

I have lived in the Uptown community of Chicago for almost a decade, since 2009. A Target department store (located at 4466 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640; 773-596-2376) opened in 2010 and since the first week, I have been a regular customer at this store. I am a U.S. Navy reserve veteran. I served in Afghanistan in 2012-13. The pass couple of years a manager by the name of Wilberto has taken over and this store's customer service, has really started getting bad.

[From 2017] A few (white males/ I am an African American male) clerks followed me around the entire store (several times in a year span). At the time I didn't think anything of it. Then it continued. I realized, I walked out the store and didn't purchase anything (I couldn't find what I wanted), so I let them continue to scrutinize me while I shopped to satisfy their prejudice. This stopped for a while and then later continued. As I became disgusted and complained to management, they began singling me out for harassment and discrimination. I observed countless times, their customers of other ethnicities do the same thing and not be stalked, followed all around the store, or singled out for degrading service. They would talk about me in front of their customers, as if they didn't care who heard them.

[July 1st 2018 incident] I went to Target and a supervisor (Jeff) whom I have had arguments with about his aggressive stalking behavior, recruited Kia and they singled me out both walking on opposite sides of me while in the checkout line, which was embarrassing for a REGULAR/ ROUTINE customer. Jeff has done this COUNTLESS times. I filed a complaint with there corporate office in Minnesota and sent them a letter and copies of my receipts.

[October 17th 2018 incident] A front end employee (Corey, I believe) was standing about 8 feet from me when I heard him say to a female cashier (unknown), "watch his pockets", (as he evil eyed me) again embarrassing me in front of other customers in the checking line whom were listening. I walked over to pay for pizza at the counter across from the checkout lines and the cashier pursued me, stood by me, looking me up and down scrutinizing me. Chicago is a cold weather city, but I guess I can't even take off my gloves and skull cap (that I walked into the store with) and put them into my pocket without someone mistaking these items for stolen merchandise.

[October 25th 2018 incident] I went to purchase a greeting card for my sister's birthday, and 2 security guards (Steve in uniform & Tony, so I was told) followed me around the store until I pulled out my camera phone to record them. They both went upstairs to an area in the electronics department. When I asked (Tony, I believe) for his name, he refused to give it to me. Both Jeff and Corey worked the front end on this day, so it is likely that one of them was suspicion of me. The camera footage was *** so I couldn't upload it.

I live close by this location, so I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars in this store (hundreds of dollars at a time or money in small amounts) to be routinely degraded by there front end supervisors, security and now the stores general manager who has ignored my complaints. I have bought everything from a 40" smart TV, Nutribullet blender, Ninja blender, to a bottle of coke in this store. I have called to speak to the store's general manager (Wilberto) countless times, walked in to make an appointment to be told numerous times that he is out of town, or not here, which I believe are lies in an attempt to pass the buck. I want to be treated like a person and NOT A CRIMINAL!!! I sent them copies of the receipts that I have (most were destroyed when my computer's hard drive went out) but it doesn't tell the full story of the amount of money I spent in THIS STORE!

Preferred solution: Talk with Wilberto.

I didn't like: Supervisors and staff are poorly trained, No accountability.

Comments

I have friends who are both African American and also members of the BLT community, and I feel so angry at all of the racists and bigots that treat them unfairly and mean. They are glad that they can shop at Target without running into any of these people who all say that they are no longer shopping there anymore. Thank You all for staying away, they certainly appreciate it.

to DiffrentStrokesFoDiffrentFolks #1596403

Wow, why don't you say that you work at Target? Because you obviously do.

Just include the key points in your complaint. No need to post a novel of a complaint.

to Anonymous #1595776

Or you can stop being lazy and read the whole report. You might learn something.

to Lone-Wolf #1595783

Or you could learn a little something about posting. You only have about 3-4 seconds to get and keep someone's attention.

If you don't they're gone Rather than have your little snarky come backs, how about a summary of your complaint that I assume you want people to actually read and consider and not blow off as a long winded drama queen saga. With that in mind, I skimmed your novella and have the following advice: Find somewhere else to shop Problem solved You are welcome

to Lone-Wolf #1596044

Right On! I always appreciate it when people write real long review and include all of the relevant information. Alot of people just leave short complaints and it is hard to figure out what they are actually pi$$ed off about because they don't include enough information.

What does your spending Thousands of dollars at this particular location have to do with your claims of harassment and discrimination? Other customers at any business can claim this, and they spend Less than that. What do you Want to happen by stating you have spent Thousands of dollars at this particular Target location?

to Anonymous #1594395

Aparently you didnt read the entire article.

to Anonymous #1594496

The entire article is Too long to read

to Anonymous #1594550

That's why you missed KEY POINTS.