50 E North Ave, Villa Park, IL 60181, USA

My 86 year old in laws were just scammed out of $8,000.00 by a phone scam where the caller pretended to be a grandson in trouble.They panicked and were duped but this was all made possible because Target is more interested in the bottom line than protecting senior citizens.

They were told to go buy Target gift cards in $1,000.00 increments. Target sold the cards over the course of two days at $4,000.00 each day and never questioned such a large purchase even though this scam has been around for years. They were instructed NOT to go to Walmart but specified Target. My wife went to a Walmart and was informed that they teach ALL their employees to be suspicious of this scam and refuse gift cards in that amount without a manager, photo ID and social security number.

If the customer persists, they inform them that it sounds like a scam and tries to discourage the sale. When my wife called the Target corporate office, a woman told her that her mother VOLUNTARILY purchased the cards and it is not their business to tell seniors how to spend their money.

When told about the Walmart policy the response was "I wouldn't know, I don't work for Walmart".I know who will get ALL my business from now on.

Review about: Scamming People Both Buying And Selling Gift Cards.

I didn't like: Lack of security concern, Lack of concern.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Target Gift Card
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Scam / $8000
Preferred solution Full refund

Had an Experience with Target?

Comments

Guy Hoffrage
Saint Charles, Illinois, United States #1300597

It's been over a month and NO ONE from Target has tried to contact me. This just reaffirms what I wrote.