My letter to Target Execs Below

"Recently my wife and I registered with Target for our wedding that hosted 181 people. We were extremely pleased with the ease of registering, scanning, and making our registry available for our guests.

HOWEVER,

we have several duplicate items purchased at target which wouldnt be a problem with other registries we have. They may not have scanned them to be acounted for in the registry or simply been in a hurry. Whatever the case, we received several duplicates without gift reciepts.

On sunday we tried to return the duplicated SEALED packages to our local target in Mira Loma, CA. We were then told that unless the product was under $20 in value, we could not exchange them for store credit. This has to be the most absurd return policy I have ever heard of. We happened to have recieved 3 crockpots valued at $49.99, and other items that we now feel "stuck" with.

My solution is not to boycott target. it's a store that's too practical, and too convenient for our needs... HOWEVER, I wll inform everyone that I know NOT to register for target for their showers, weddings or other events because the absurd return policy that will keep me regifting for years to come.

As a burned consumer, i feel it's my duty to warn others about your ridiculous return policy on wedding forums, blogs, or other websites. I feel that all other "25-35's that are thinking about registering should not have to rely on the competence of their guests to deliver gift reciepts with every purchase.

If I am not emailed within the next 3 days concerning the matter, i plan to stage a massive campaign exposing your registry for what it is; A massive conspiracy to force the re-gifting of crockpots."

Review about: Bridal Registry.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $400
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Target?

Submit review

Comments

Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States #17486
Who cares returning the item at wal-mart is not going to hurt them. Especially if you exchange it for another item. Even if I were "scamming" who cares they make lots of money. They are the top retailer. So get a life losers and stop judging me.
Trevor
Nuuk, Vestgronland, Greenland #17216
Mafiagodfather, the reason these guests did not send a gift receipt was because they did not have their mommies and daddies in the store to make sure that they had everything they should. You should not blame the guests they are just young children. If not, well good luck to them in the future.
mafiagodfather
Nuuk, Vestgronland, Greenland #17171
Barbara, I have to say I agree somewhat with ghostbuster on this one. The part about you being wrong to exchange a gift from Target to Wal--Mart. Not the part of giving up your child. If you knew it was bad to exchange a Target product at Wal-Mart then why did you do it. You are aware that it is because of people like you who are dishonest that they have these strict policies? Usually if I get something that I don't want I give it as a gift to another person if I can't exchange it. It is not that hard for your guests to ask for a gift receipt. Ghostbuster is 11 years old he figured out what you did was wrong. If an 11 year old knows that this is wrong why can't you figure it out.

As for the person that wrote this letter how hard is it to ask for a gift receipt?
ghostbuster
Nuuk, Vestgronland, Greenland #17053
ghostbuster
Nuuk, Vestgronland, Greenland #17052
Well than Barbara, you and your friends need to grow up. If they don't send the gift receipt it is their fault. Don't blame them on your friends careless mistake. Then again you encourage scamming. ( Returning a Target product to Wal-Mart.) Do us all a favour when your child is born either give the child up for adoption to an honest mother, or stop your dishonest prastices. Or better yet teach your child to donate. Don't only think of yourself.. Think of others, it is already too late for you but it will teach your child to be a better person.
Wirtz, Virginia, United States #16195
I just want to add to those comments who are blaming us consumers for not knowing Target's return policy: We DO know the policy, that's not the problem. The problem is that some of the people buying you gifts don't include the gift receipt with their gift, therefore making it impossible for an exchange or refund. And you can't exactly call the person up and ask if they can find where they put their receipt.
Wirtz, Virginia, United States #16193
I've just gone through the same dilemma with my baby registry...Target SUCKS! Their return policy is ridiculous. Now I'm stuck with duplicate items I cannot return. I actually was able to exchange a couple of items bought from Target to my local Wal-Mart. I know that's bad, but who cares? My theory is that Target is run by French people and they just don't give a ***.
Ghostbuster
Nuuk, Vestgronland, Greenland #16178
It isnt Target's fault your wife and yourself don't know how to read. They have the policy at the back of the receipt.
Tsar
Reed, England, United Kingdom #15999
Should it really be the stores fault if your friends and family couldn't do the simplest thing in PRINTING OFF AN UPDATED GIFT REGISTRY AND GIVING IT TO THE CASHIER????? Corporate stores have their policies for a reason. Is it really wrong for the stores to require a receipt of some sort to return merchandise? No it is not. You knew the return policy before you registered with them. Their return policy is posted EVERYWHERE. Every register, on the back of the receipt, and the Customer Service Desk.
Agreed
Leonardville, Kansas, United States #12677
I am having a baby and my husband and I had planned to register at Target...until my friend told me issues she had with returns. The sad thing is, not everyone remembers to or gives gift receipts and it shouldn't be your punishment to not be able to return it. I am not thrilled that I have had several friends purchase gifts at Target, and I hope and pray that they attach gift receipts. I work for Bed, Bath and Beyond where we have an EXTREMELY hassle free return policy...I think all the limitations that Target has on their policy is kind of an excuse...we have people return or exchange things without receipts and it's not like we are losing money over it.

I think its a waste of time to register at a place that has such a limited and strict policy on returns.