I read on ABC News that Target is refusing to sell Paula Deens products. I have been searching for an official statement but have not seen it.

I am making an official statement of my own. I will not spend a penny at any store that shuns anyone for exercising their right to freedom of speech. I am not agreeing with the racial slur Paula may have said but I defend her right to freedom of speech as well as Ice T and all the others that frequently use this so called slur. If Target has taken a stand to be the word police then I will be watching to see who else they trash from their store because we all know many others use the very same term and more.

If they do not publicly denounce them all then we may all conclude that Target is discriminating against Deen.

Comments

IHateStupidCustomers
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #673226

I'm also confused as to why stores are no longer carrying her products but they have no problem carrying Martha Stewart products?

I'm not Target, so I can't speak for them. However, I am willing to bet that Target could careless that Paula Deen have said racial slurs before.

They just don't have any interest in carrying products with someone who is receiving so much bad publicity currently. Other stores are most likely the same way.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States #672704

There is more to the story than the "n" word, there are legal proceedings against Ms. Deen, her brother, her sons, and their restaurants.

These charges pertain to sexual harassment and discrimination. Look up the court papers, they are on a few different sites. As far as you not shopping at any store that discontinues handling merchandise of anyone that exercises their right to free speech, you will really be limiting your shopping. It has been on the news that not only Target, but WalMart, Sears, and some others that I can't remember are discontinuing selling her products when they run out of the products.

This also includes the publishing company that has published her cookbooks, they are refusing to publish her most recent cookbook.

QVC is in the process of deciding what to do. That being said not one of these businesses will miss your business, because the little you spend, in contrast to the big picture isn't going to hurt them.