Target Red Card

1085 of 1268 Target Reviews
Issue not resolved
Apr 12, 2010
review #178040

not to brag i have amazing credit, never missed a payment in my 6 years of credit history on any account i have. I just recently applied for a Red Card and lost my temporary credit card.

I received my Target Credit Card statement and the account number only showed the last digit, everything else was just X. I tried to get my account number and apparently its against Target policy to get the account number over the phone. This really irritates me because i dont understand why i can give someone my checking account number, routing number, name, address, phone number and social security number but i cant get my account number in Return. I Explained that to the guy on the fone and he hung up on me.

Call number two, same thing. So i told the lady that i wanted to pay my account in full, cancel my Red Card and never do business with Target again. I had my Debit card in hand, No she cant take that only Checking Account Number + Routing Number + Check number. So i said no, i dont have a check on me i need to pay over the phone. She said that would not be possible. I Ask her for my account number again, and said its against policy. I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor would say the same thing.

She told me to go to a target and pay there with my Debit Card.

I hung up on her,

I am very pissed at Target as a COMPANY to set ridiculious policies. I dont understand how i can give someone over the phone my social, address, phone, name, date of birth, Target Account Identification number and i cant receive my account number.

Great Job Target,

Not only is it "Pay more, Expect Less" but its "Try even harder to pay us!"

bf0147c
Had an experience with Target?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
1085 of 1268 Target Reviews
Blanca186

Aug 23

Yeah...so the acct # is on your credit card...

1 0 Reply

Jun 29

Why on earth would anyone want a Target Red Card anyway. The only place you can use it is at Target and if you pay any attention to the news they don't care about the security of your information. They hire companies to help alert them to security breaches but ignore them when they are told the have one. Why would you use any credit or debit card at Target? If you must shop at Target the only safe form of payment is cold hard cash. I avoid Target whenever possible but if I do go there cash is the only form of payment I will use.

Moneybags

Oct 23

5% off of everything, and free shipping online--that's why. Makes a difference for those of us buying diapers constantly.

JayJay

Jun 25

same experience last night. I really need my account number to close of my new house, and they wont give it to me I am very angry and, like you, will NOT be doing business with Target again.

NewRedCardKid

Dec 26, 2013 Portland, Maine

I just received my redcard in the mail..... But they didn't send me an account number to sign up online. Called the 1800 number, I got out sourced to an "oversea" rep. They got every info from me. And said sorry, we can't help you with your account number. Then started telling me my bill will be sent to me next month with the account number on it. So I told him, I have to wait till next month to know my account number??? WTF????

NewRedCardKid

Dec 26, 2013 Portland, Maine

Disgusted

Dec 06, 2013

We got a redcard 3 months ago. Big mistake. We have never received an email reminder that a statement is available. As a result, we have been late paying. My impression is that they do this intentionally to collect late fees and interest. The attitude of their call center people is horrible: blame the customer and then hang up if the customer disagrees. I have a background in accounting and IT . . Have never encountered a company as screwed up as this. If they offer you a RedCard, RUN fast

Nunya

Oct 02 Schenectady, New York

Well in this case it is your fault. You have to go online to their site and sign up for paperless statements and email alerts. And, okay maybe one month you were late cuz they didn't email you... okay maybe two, but seriously by the THIRD MONTH it's totally on you. Take some responsibility for chrissake.

3 0 Reply

Dec 05, 2013

"I tried to get my account number and apparently its against Target policy to get the account number over the phone. This really irritates me because i dont understand why i can give someone my checking account number, routing number, name, address, phone number and social security number but i cant get my account number in Return. I Explained that to the guy on the fone and he hung up on me."

They don't give you the information on the phone for safety reasons. If someone stole your information pretending to be you it would be more irritation. The guy on the "fone" spelled phone probably hung up on you because he was tired of explaining things to you as if you were eight years old.

5 0 Reply
jayjay

Jun 25

What is anyone going to do with our acct number? that "security reason" makes no sense at all.! I asked if they could do i series of personal questions like the credit companies do, and they still wouldn't give. Security reasons pfft they just do not work with their "customers"

Dee

Dec 05, 2013

I too have excellent credit and was ahead on my payments to Target but when I noticed a 25 dollar fee on my statement, which I was being charged the same day the payment was due, I called them only to be hung up on by the first operator! I'd waited 28 minutes to be hung up on and then another 20 minutes, just to be told by the second operator, I'd have to call back the following day! I'm especially frustrated because I finally did complain during a "follow up call" from Target, and I let them know about the 25.00 late fee I was wrongly being charged, AND the poor customer service! Needless to say, nothing was done. The follow up call I received, in regards to "how helpful I thought their service was", was a complete waste of time! I'm paying my bill in full(including their 25 dollar bull %@#* fee) and then I NEVER want to deal with them again!

DILLIGAFF

Nov 16, 2013 New York City, New York

There is only one way to deal with them after 7 years. kiss m a**. this company has done nothing but charge me 3 times for something I did not buy. why would I want 3 52" Smart HDTV in a 1 bedroom apt. each TV was $2.498.99. you know something is going on with this company when you ask them to send you a copy of the sales receipt to see who singed for it and I got was the biggest bullsh*t I have ever heard. I have them in court for this.

GZ

Sep 30, 2013

Target and Red Cards Suck!!!!

1 1 Reply
disappointed target shopper

Sep 02, 2013 Fort Wayne, Indiana

I just cancelled my card after 5 and 1/2 years as the customer service was horrendous. I have had countless issues and I love target, but the 5% is not worth the hassle they provide.

Aug 06, 2013 La Grange, Kentucky

I too have this problem currently. I lost my phone but can't access any of my account information without the card, which is BS. So I keep getting notifications to pay, but have absolutely no way of paying it. I can't email, because they don't give you a link for it (even on any of the sites)- you have to call and they ask for your card number in order to do anything, which I don't have. It's ridiculous.

NoMore

Aug 03, 2013

I have had nothing but trouble with the red card. First my first card was stolen along with my wallet so I had to request a new one and my old one be cancelled. I called the customer service center the lady I spoke to spoke very bad, broken English. She also had a hard time understanding what it was I wanted, she kept thinking I was trying to apply for a card. I came to find out my husband had the card so when my wallet was stolen my red card was not in it. I figured I would just destroy the old one. when I got my new card it was the exact same number as my old one. What if my card had actually been in my wallet and stolen? I called the center to ask this and got, again, a women who spoke very bad, broken English. She kept repeating yes you have your new card, it is new. I hung up very annoyed but decided to let it pass.
Today I went to buy something and my card was declined. The cashier handed me a receipt saying they decided to cancel my card and to call this number to ask a co. why but then it said the company I was to call was not actually the company that chose to cancel my card. Ok so why am I calling them. The only thing I can think is for 2 hours my account was overdrawn till I got my paycheck in it and they were the one who over drew it. Thanks Target for understanding the working man's situation.

Steph

Jul 15, 2013 Raleigh, North Carolina

I would be happy about this. I would never EVER want a company to agree to give out my account number over the phone :-/

3 0 Reply
nolongerusingtargetcard

Jul 19, 2013 Los Angeles, California

I closed my account after being denied paying with debit card over the phone. I paid online and my payment was considered "late" because it was after 5 P.M. on my due date. $35 late fee for a $25 payment? I will say they have the WORSE POLICIES OF ANY CREDIT COMPANY, and even worse customer service/reps. Never waste your time shopping here, go to Walmart for the same cheap stuff with better prices.

0 1 Reply
AbusedbyTarget

Mar 25, 2013

I was charged a late fee for a late fee after protesting
the initial late fee! When I called to discuss this the customer service rep insisted that the only thing she could or would do would be to reduce one, only one of the late fees by 12. dollars. Other companies don't have this extremely limited ability to retain customers. Also, when I quoted information from the card policy print out, I was told, and I quote, "I don't know where you heard that," as if the printed policy were hearsay. Insulting customer service. Absolutely insulting and abusive. I'm done with this company- over and finished. Completely.

1-20 of 44 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Target.
Filing a new complaint about
×